• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The A-frame kit (hoist) for M35-let's talk about it

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The A-frame hoist shown in the Operator's Manual (TM 9-2320-361-10) on pages 2-22 and 2-80 looks pretty darn useful to me, but yet, I have never seen one, or even heard it mentioned.

I am curious what units got these, if anyone has even seen one, where you might find one and if you could construct a reasonably correct looking reproduction yourself.

See below.

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
that a frame kit can be had for the 5t also
Are the tow hooks the same distance apart on 5 & 2 1/2 ton bumpers? (i.e is it the same a-frame or wider for the 5 ton?)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
looks like the old gin pole set up thats been used on front or rear mounted winches, it would be easy to make one, paint it green and nobody would know the difference, we had a bunch of shop built ones in nam, thay were probley better then the military kits

Reactions: HDN

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
dont know if there the same, though it would not matter as the legs can be ajusted to what ever tha distance

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
cant find the #but it looks like the same kit, same 3000lb lift and all

lacoda56

Just went out and measured the deuce and five ton tow hook brackets, and they're within 3/8" on center. Never noticed before, but the deuce has four bolts [two 1/2" and two 5/8"] in each bracket, and the five ton has three[all 5/8"].

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Generally the deuce and 5 tons have the same frame width of 34" The a-frame kit is the same for the deuce and 5 ton. I've used my towbar and a snatch block to do some low lifting with the deuce. The a-frame would be relatively easy to fab up and sacrificing a towbar would make it even easier.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
instead of scraping a towbar , just take a black iron pipe and ues it as a extision, one that fits over the inner towbar piece, and a smaller piece to fit in that extsion that would fit in the outer towbar piece, this what was done in nam when we made a frames, we even drilled holes in the two extinsons peices so that we could adjust the a frame length, and make it easer it install and take apart, this worked great

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
we used chain or cable or both, what ever we could find for the rear surport , with chain it was easy to adjust the angle

mcinfantry

why would you have to scrap the towbar? couldnt you use it "as is" and run a snatch block (pulley) off the end and a chain back to the bed?

the towbar was rated for 40000lbs on a straight pull, so i dont see why you couldnt pickup 10000" if you kept it about 45 degrees.

SixBuy

Wish we knew somebody who had one to blueprint. I'd like to see what the Army thought was a good idea. If you've got a hard top it looks like you'd need to remove it or build a support for the front of the bed to get the cable/chain up over the hardtop.

rmgill

I wonder, could you attack the a-frame support to via two cables to the corners of the bed and make it all clear the cab? Doh! Getting in and out of the cab might be tricky depending on the angles.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One could also build a stand off to push the cale up and over the cab. Simple pipe across front of bed, another welded perpendicular to that and a top piece that you could clamp to the cable going to the pintle.

carguy455

I WANT ONE !! WAY COOL...

OK smart people, post blueprints or plans on here so I can build one, not smart enough to devise it, just handy enough to weld it up ! lol !

{If the ladies don't find you handsome, at least let em find you handy! }

Reactions: HDN

rmgill

carguy455 said:
I WANT ONE !! WAY COOL...

OK smart people, post blueprints or plans on here so I can build one, not smart enough to devise it, just handy enough to weld it up ! lol !

{If the ladies don't find you handsome, at least let em find you handy! }
Duct-tape is not the preferred method of assembly!

SixBuy

I find it interesting that there is a section of the manual devoted to the care and use of this gin pole accessory and NOBODY has one or has seen one? Does anybody remember seeing one in use? Has anybody ever seen one on GL? Maybe the CIA has them all...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny you mention that. Randy Emr ended up with one at Aberdeen, don't know where he got it. I know he paid handsomly for it. He was putting it all together and when he went to hang it from the truck he figured out that it was the M37 variant. Same everything but had 3/4" holes instead of 1" holes. Watch, in 10 years GL will have 10,000 of them in a single lot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks