• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The EPA/DLA stoppage and where we stand and what we should do

Status
Not open for further replies.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So everyone has read the first thread on this subject, right?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?125739-Possibly-No-More-Trucks-from-DLA

That is the thread that was started when this problem first came to light and the thread had a lot of replies and for good reason: With no hard data out there, speculation ran rampant.

When all this began, I contacted some folks I know who are well connected to see if they could find out what the true story was.

Last week, the MVPA released the document that many of you read here or on their website (I've attached it to the bottom of this post). Before you read this thread any further, please go read the document if you haven't already. The document they have produced is well written and is sourced with on-the-record interviews and factual, verified information.

The basic story is that on June 18th, 2014, the DLA contacted GL and told them to stop selling any diesel powered units (vehicles, pumps, welders, compressors, generators, etc.)

This was after the DOD had contacted the EPA and told them that they (DOD) might have violated the CAA by selling items they shouldn't have.

The interested parties (EPA, DLA, DOD) are in talks to resolve the situation. The parties involved are meeting twice a week in order to get the situation resolved.

Ok, great, now we know where we stand.......... but what do we do about it? I want to be proactive and start a campaign!

Last week, I spent all day on the phone, from 8am to after 5pm, talking to various sources. I personally have several days of my life wrapped up in this, where I did not go to work and only dealt with this.

We (the staff at SS) have sources but what they tell us is "off the record" so I can not cite them or repeat here what they've told us.

So I want to try and help the community and dispel some of the rumors and kind of let everyone know what I can, within my very tight limits. I can't provide proof now, but I will attempt to at some point in the future (probably when this is all over).

1. Motivation
This is not politically motivated. There is no input from the administration on this. If you read the release, DLA Disposition Services spokes-man Ken MacNevin specifically said “This action did not originate from the EPA, but rather from within the DoD." That is correct. We have verification of this. Obama is not coming for your army truck.

There is no drive to deny registrations, there is no drive to come and try and grab stuff bought in the past, etc. This is only about current stuff being released. If there is a state which is pursuing such a goal, it's separate from this.

2. Insiders club or clique.
I understand that some people feel like the moderator staff keeping the original thread locked is not fair or right and that "educated guess/LOGIC" discussion isn't being allowed (I am copying that phrase from a pm, but if you wrote it, I don't want you to think I am calling you out, you simply phrased it the best and shortest way so I copied it, thanks!).

The basic reason we have kept the thread locked was because no new information that was reliable was coming out and that only leaves wild speculation and conspiracy theories, which honestly reflect very poorly on our great hobby and make us look less legitimate. I understand that within the hobby there is a fear and suspicion of agencies like the EPA and such, but some the things being posted were simply so inappropriate that they were damaging to our hobby's public perception.

I am very understanding of people's deeply held beliefs-and I have some deeply held beliefs that are not appropriate for public discussion, so believe me, I sympathize.

The simple fact of the matter is that there isn't any way of making an educated guess when you have no facts to educate yourself on to base the guess on.

As information, memos, letters and emails have come up, members have pm'd them to us and we have posted them. As Fire Departments put out info, we posted it. As Senators became involved, we posted updates.

And yes, I realize that you might not have seen any posts that you thought were overly inappropriate. We deleted a lot.

We have struggled with the debate about what's appropriate. We are trying to make the right decisions for the forum and the hobby.

3. What is the reality of the situation? Where do we stand?
Shoot, I can't really say anything. This is a bureaucratic thing. All I can say is all of the parties involved want this to go away. And they are working on it. If you read the MVPA article published, there are 2 meetings a week going on between the EPA and DLA. These people have more things to do at work than have to deal with 2 more meetings every week.

But the situation is not (currently) as bad as many people fear. I am sorry that I can't say more. But the fears that this is part of something larger or it's part of an agenda on anyone's part is luckily not true at all.

4. But what should we do? I feel powerless, shouldn't we be writing to our Representatives? Starting a campaign to help "push" things in our direction?
At this time, we believe that would be counter productive and EVERY SINGLE PERSON I talked to agreed. I formed my opinion based on their opinions about what they they told me about the process.

First off, a campaign wouldn't be effective right now because there is no policy to campaign against.

If you call your rep, be it your Senator or your Representative and say "Hey, the Army won't sell me trucks anymore", they'll call the DLA and they'll say "What's up with this?" and the DLA will say "There's a policy issue with the Clean Air Act and we're looking into it and no decision has been made, but we're working on clearing it up" and the politician will say "Thanks" and you'll be exactly where you started out.

When you call a politician, you need to be able to say "I want you to vote for A or vote against B".

Second, this issue is not currently "politicized"-neither of the parties are interested in it or even know it exists. If we get a few lawmakers involved, we could easily politicize it and make it a "left versus right" issue and the US govt. is simply paralyzed by partisan politics and can't accomplish anything, so you can see where your bill would go-right in to the "never went anywhere category". It's phenomenally more difficult to move a national bill than a state bill.

I want you to think about how a politician thinks: in numbers. Numbers of campaign dollars and numbers of votes. And at the end of the day, if 100 people write their Senator and tell them they want their dirty, polluting Army trucks and 50,000 people write them and tell them they want clean air, who's gonna' win?

Don't make something political that currently isn't. You'll make this a lot harder.

Third, notice in the MVPA article where they said "As Supply Line prepares to go to press most of the industry leaders have decided to take a "wait and see" approach................. and "Until the DOD and EPA reach a decision... it is difficult if not impossible for the Association or it's members to campaign against the temporary halt? What they are saying between the lines is that the big players like TNJ Murray or Memphis Equipment are waiting. These are companies with State Department approval to sell trucks to foreign governments and they make millions of dollars of profit by doing so. They have a bigger interest in this than all of us and you can bet they have more contacts that we do. What do you think they know that we don't?

Fourth, since no policy is in place to campaign against-remember, this is a temporary halt and the EPA may simply decide that the easiest thing to do is extend the National Security Exemption for the life of the vehicle and poof, the problem goes away- what would you campaign against? A temporary halt? It's temporary! No policy or final decision is in place so all you're doing is campaigning for a final outcome that you prefer.

The way this was described to me was "Like going outside with your shotgun, aiming straight up and firing and hoping the duck flies through your field of fire".

In summation:
It is our strongest belief that we should hold off on a campaign to see where the situation ends up.

I am going to tentatively open this thread and allow discussion, but I will watch it closely and if it devolves, we will close it again. We need to keep our responses professional.

Please be understanding of the difficult job the moderators have-allowing discussion but keeping the site professional and appropriate. If you have any concerns and you do not want to air them publicly, you are welcome to pm me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the explanation Clinto and other Mods. Oh to be a fly on the wall during those meetings. As someone who has met with EPA and DOJ attorneys over a number of years in my previous life, there is a lot more common sense involved in the negotiations than in the original legislation or agreements. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but these negotiations usually take a loong time to resolve.

Last edited by a moderator:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please everyone don't let this thread go south-WE WILL LOCK IT.......

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Carnac's professional crystal ball says to heed what has just been typed. The crystal ball fully concurs.

Highly suggest keeping your personal opinions held in check. Think before you post and don't drink and post.

paradeduty

Very well put, Clinto.

I, for one, was very surprised (and a bit reassured) when I read that the decision makers were meeting twice a week. Whether any progress is made at the meetings is a separate story, but at least the idea that it is being given "front burner" attention means that there is a good chance that there are some people involved who, more than not, understand the implications of this policy.

To the site and moderators in general - thank you for investing so much time and effort into trying to keep this subject on the proactive, constructive side of the curve. I can only imagine how volatile this topic may have gotten at times!

Dave

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the site and moderators in general - thank you for investing so much time and effort into trying to keep this subject on the proactive, constructive side of the curve. I can only imagine how volatile this topic may have gotten at times!

:ditto: :goodjob:

4X

cruzinz28

Clinto - THANK YOU! for your time and effort away from work and you're every day life to look into this for all of us in this hobby.

Everyone else - My only suggestion would be to use your acquired military surplus respectfully during this uneasy time and continue to
enjoy using your surplussed vehicles in things such as car shows, military shows, parades, toy drives, fund raisers,
memorials for those that have served our country, etc.

I was honored to be part of the funeral procession for David Frankenhauser along with many of our other members here
and I take pride every time young boy or girls asks if they can sit in the seat of my truck or stand in the ring mount for a
picture. On a rare occasion I am blessed with a Military Veteran that pulls me to the side and shares a story they have
of the vehicle I now own during their service.

I look forward to any official updates this thread will supply and again thank everyone behind the scenes at Steel Soldiers
for their efforts!!!

Triple C

Extremely articulate and well presented. I for one await further information or instruction. Thanks for all you folk do for us.

plumkrazy

Very well written and thought out. I know our OD hobby has a lot of fun, but I want to thank those that do the Dirty part to help our hobby stay positive and secure. We are all on display whenever we drive our vehicles. With our country becoming more and more PC, please don't give our detractors any cause for more regs. and rules that could slowly choke out our supply of vehicles and Members.

I'll get off my soap box but please remember most people won't remember 10 good things, however they will remember 1 bad thing for the rest of their lives. Regards to all and have a Blessed Day.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the info . I know a lot YOUR EFFORT went into the story . Thank you from the "OD" community . Lets all hope for a good and quick end to this story . Bob k

steelandcanvas

I was honored to be part of the funeral procession for David Frankenhauser along with many of our other members here
and I take pride every time young boy or girls asks if they can sit in the seat of my truck or stand in the ring mount for a
picture. On a rare occasion I am blessed with a Military Veteran that pulls me to the side and shares a story they have
of the vehicle I now own during their service.
Events such as these justifies every dollar I spend on fuel and maintenance, and makes my participation pleasurable.

Last edited:

iatractor

Thanks for the update. It's been pretty frustrating out here trying to figure out what was truly taking place with this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks