• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The life of a Deuce...

Westech

CPL
I have seen Multis blow up at 2k miles and have seen them runing strong at 60k miles... the multi is a light bulb engine. What I mean by that is if you take really good care of it and dont beat the snot out of it, that engine will last a very very long time. If you trash it, start her up and hit the gas, dont let her cool down after a run your asking for it. She will blow with out letting you know befor hand, she will just go Poof! I have put almost 10K on my Multi in the last 4 years and she runs great. Yeah she might leak a little oil and coolant here and there but she loves to run and work hard. I always let her run befor I move it and let her cool down before I shut her off.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the highest milage you've ever seen on a multifuel deuce engine? I've heard someone here has 131K miles....

dmetalmiki

heres a thought for you.....I start my m.f. and run idle at 1000 rpm untill I hear the turbo "<best>whistle" which tells me by ear that the oil is circulated and the engine ready 2 "work"..on shutting down I let It idle 4 at LEAST 2 minutes....all FOUR of my M series trucks run good give me GOOD service..reliabillity..(err..and run..like trains!)

jwaller

I have put 10k on my multi this year. and no signs of trouble. it's a great engine as long as you maintain it like you would any piece of heavy equipment.

XJChief

I let mine (non-turbo) run for about 5 minutes at idle when she's cold before driving it. At short stops I let it idle instead of shutting it down. After a drive I let it run for about 3 minutes. Good enough?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
XJChief said:
I let mine (non-turbo) run for about 5 minutes at idle when she's cold before driving it. At short stops I let it idle instead of shutting it down. After a drive I let it run for about 3 minutes. Good enough?
It depends a lot on the weather (ambient temp). I find it necessary to keep a radiator cover installed at all times to even out the engine operating temp.
I often idle a lot longer than just a few minutes before and after a trip.

The trucks were designed for a 20 year life span starting from all fresh gaskets etc, so maintenance is the all important item here.

I have had some problems and they are most likely caused by poor maintenance. I sort of go with the old saying, if it runs why fix it?, not a good thing for this piece of equipment.

Attachments

rizzo

It is my understanding that the reason for startup and cool down times is for the turbo.

Anyone know if this is correct?

ah1955

The life of a Deuce

Thats what I was tought way back in the mid 70's when I started driving trailer.
The turbo spins very fast ahd free and lubercation is crital to there servival so is heat so to get the most life out of bearings and shafts the more heat that is disapated by an idal down before cutting off the oil supply the better for all those spinnig parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks