• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the list goes on.

cucvrus

doghead relay upgrade

After 38 years I still don't see this as a CUCV upgrade. Nothing is infallible. After the stock relay lasted 35 + years. How long do the upgraded relays last? I seen more then one post where the same thing happened with this upgrade. I know this has been pounded on many many times but I see no point. If the truck batteries and starting system are maintained the truck will start and disengage before the relay melt down occurs. The problem is with low amperage and extended crank time on the starting system. Good Luck. But keep in mind you have a lot of positive electrical posts in a steel negative environment. 99.99% of the truck carries negative current and just a slight contact makes sparks and heat. Instantly. I done more then one return to stock upgrade. They make a nice little sealed cube relay that can be put in place and has no exposed positive terminals. I tested them for many years on several CUCV vehicles with no cutting any part of the harness. Just saying it is not the cure all for stuck starters and relays.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The list never ends lol
Happy to report that is has nothing to do with your truck or kind of truck. I don't own a CUCV, but the 5-Ton and the other trucks that I have are pretty much the same. Go fix something and just as sure as I am living and breathing, I will find something else that needs to be fixed too. It never fails. The big plus is that the more time I spend repairing, the less I need to fix.

Yes indeed. The list never ends :)

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

They make a nice little sealed cube relay that can be put in place and has no exposed positive terminals.

Agreed. That circuit only draws 9 amps. Any quality, modern automotive relay will work just fine. I'd use at least a 15 amp, and if you want overkill, go with a 30. Done. If you have a starter run-on after that, the problem is elsewhere.

LT67

Happy to report that is has nothing to do with your truck or kind of truck. I don't own a CUCV, but the 5-Ton and the other trucks that I have are pretty much the same. Go fix something and just as sure as I am living and breathing, I will find something else that needs to be fixed too. It never fails. The big plus is that the more time I spend repairing, the less I need to fix.

Yes indeed. The list never ends :)
Troof.. lol

Rrent

doghead relay upgrade

After 38 years I still don't see this as a CUCV upgrade. Nothing is infallible. After the stock relay lasted 35 + years. How long do the upgraded relays last? I seen more then one post where the same thing happened with this upgrade. I know this has been pounded on many many times but I see no point. If the truck batteries and starting system are maintained the truck will start and disengage before the relay melt down occurs. The problem is with low amperage and extended crank time on the starting system. Good Luck. But keep in mind you have a lot of positive electrical posts in a steel negative environment. 99.99% of the truck carries negative current and just a slight contact makes sparks and heat. Instantly. I done more then one return to stock upgrade. They make a nice little sealed cube relay that can be put in place and has no exposed positive terminals. I tested them for many years on several CUCV vehicles with no cutting any part of the harness. Just saying it is not the cure all for stuck starters and relays.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks