• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The VTCS m756a2 Pipeline Truck

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
This morning a 1970 m756a2 showed up at the yard. My friend George at Vermont Commercial Salvage bought this truck from DRMO back in the 1990s, he sold it a few years later but last year he bought it back. Rounder's Logistics handled getting it trucked it up from NC and now it's back at the VTCS yard. It's got convoy lights, a whistler turbo, bedsides, racks/troop seats, and the trunion is there too, but not the other special tackle blocks. The VTCS bumper marking from 20 years ago is still there and will go back on when the truck is restored and painted in 24087 semi gloss.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

jasonjc

One of those is on my bucket list. I think that would be a good truck to see at a show with the gin poles up to the side with some pipe hanging from the hook.

Thanks for keep it original.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems rare for them to have the bedsides and tailgates. I heard most were removed and thrown out. Are you going to be selling it?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Here's a few pics of the progress today, we took the sides off and took a look at the winches. The front winch seems to work good after removing and replacing a broken shear pin. The rear winch free spools out but it looks like the PTO linkage may be broken. We've got an entire spare PTO and linkage off the forestry m756a2 from a few years back so that shouldn't be an issue.

The search is on for the BII items. In the unlikely event anyone knows of anything for sale please let me know. I'm guessing we'll end up having to modify standard snatch blocks to use with the gin poles but that would be better than nothing.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
There is a guy in the MD area by the name of Keith Boda. He bought all my pipeline stuff off my Puerto Rico rust relic. I know that it included a few extras items. You will have to do the legwork to find him.
Thanks Kenny! I actually know Keith, he's a friend of ours and he was a good friend of George's too. I haven't talked to him since last year so we'll to give him a call now that the truck is actually here. I took a bunch of measurements of the headache rack on his truck a few years back when I was at his place but didn't look at any of the BII stuff since the last truck we had was missing the entire bed; I've been told he had a lot of the correct BII items. He's a great guy, if he doesn't have anything to sell we'll at least be able to take some pictures and measurements of the sheaves and stake pocket adapters to build similar ones.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that my truck had 2 sets of sidepocket adapters. BII was only one pair so he may have extras. I hope my lead pans out for you. I have pics of the pile of goods he bought but its stuck in a broken computer.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Turns out the rear PTO linkage was broken; after swapping out that piece the rear winch works well. The winch cables both look to be in good shape so that will save a lot of cash.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Another Ahab

Here's a few pics of the progress today, we took the sides off and took a look at the winches.
So how does the twin-pipe derrick (hinged at the rear roller) operate? I can't picture that exactly:

- Is there a way that it raises on the hinges to vertical or something?

- Is there a pulley wheel for a hoisting cable where the two boom pipes come together?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
One pulley goes at the top of the gin poles, and one goes at the back of the bed just in front of the roller; the poles are then folded out over the back using the winch. They can also be set up off the side of the truck instead using adapters to fit them to the stake pockets and with a pulley on the opposite side of the bed. There are drawings in the operator's book of it but I haven't seen any pictures of an actual m756a2 with the gin poles in use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks