• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Things I found when I took the rear suspension apart

Jesse6325

Ok, I thought I'd post some photos of what I found when I was taking apart the rear end to replace the torque rod bushings.
The reason I pulled the spring and spring hangar off is it was loose, Did not want to just re install it without taking a good look.
So far what I have found are two badly rusted "U" bolts, The spring hangar full of crud around where the "U" bolts pass through and a really crusty crusty spring hangar,,,
I'n going to clean up the hangar as good as I can then use something like Ospho in steroids on it (Something we use at work, A good deal better than plain Ospho) Then, After I get everything back togeter I am either going to fill the cavities around the "U" bolts with heavy grease or roofing tar. Hopefully to keep dirt/mud/sand from collecting and eating everything away
U bolts01.jpg.Ubolts02.jpgSpring hangar 01.jpgSpring hangar02.jpgSpring hangar03.jpgSpring hangar04.jpgSpring hangar05.jpg

Jesse6325

And while I am at it,, A question as well,,

Something I found on the bushings too,,, Apperently the inside bushing has been turning on the shaft.Outside bushing has a keyway, Thinking about grinding a keyway in the shaft to put in a half moon key to keep inside bushing from turning.
Has anybody else done this?
Inside bushing01.jpgInside bushing02.jpgPivot shaft01.jpgPivot shaft02.jpg

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try to find a speedi-sleeve to make it fit better. That's weird, some of those that I have taken apart have roller bearings in them and some have bushings, not sure if it's a year thing or why they differ.

Recy Mech

Firstly I know stuff all about Deuce's, which probably doesn't give a right to comment. But, as I'm in the 'baby-steps' stage of trying to get one, and learn all the 'techo' stuff I might just put my 2cents.

Did you happen to see a woodruff key on the shaft prior to removing the bushings? I wouldn't of thought that the bush was keyed. Or, is the keyway made for a tabbed lockwasher? The kind that you peen over the tab on the nut to prevent any loosening.

Jesse6325

Bushings

The outside bushing has both a key and the tabbed washer, (just like the axle nuts,)
Is's the inside one that has nothing to hold it from turning..
Hehe, I've only had the Deuce for about a month, First one I have owned or worked on, But when I lost a torque rod bushing I just started reading TM's and dived right in.
Never claimed to be the brightest crayon in the box,,,,:cookoo:

Bill W

WOW
I'm impressed that you were able to get it all apart, mine was a rotted mess that I replaced with a complete take out. I drilled drain hole in the perchs so water would not lay in there.

Attachments

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tie, What is a speedi sleeve? Can you point me to a website or something?
Check with a local bearing company, it is a very thin sleeve that fits on the shaft to make the bearing or bushing fit snug again. They are usually used when a shaft gets worn instead of replacing it, if the bushing or bearing is worn it's probably best just to replace it.

Jesse6325

Thank you!

Thank you Tie, M35!:grin: Just downloaded the PDF for the speedi sleeve, Looks like just the thing, And a LOT! better than trying to grind another keyway into the pivot shaft.
I finally got all 4 torque rods out yesterday. Going to order parts this week and start going back together as soon as they come in.

Jesse6325

WOW
I'm impressed that you were able to get it all apart, mine was a rotted mess that I replaced with a complete take out. I drilled drain hole in the perchs so water would not lay in there.
I relly like the idea of the drain holes. Make it easier to was whatever crud accumulates around the U bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks