• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Think I can fit these???

TenTires

:funny::funny::funny:
I like those better!! What the heck are those things?

Yep, the award goes to YankeeDeuce. That is the BARC @ Ft. Eustis. How'd you know that from that tiny pic??

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:funny::funny::funny:
I like those better!! What the heck are those things?
Sources I've read say they are part of a Military program for supplying and protecting the Alaskan Tundra in the late 50's. Some others were tested in AZ in the early 60's. There is a "tractor" on display near Yuma, AZ. The is a tractor and some of the cargo trailers in a salvage yard behind Fort Wainright in Fairbanks. There are more remains of a tundra train near Alaska Pipeline Pumping Station #13. Built by the LeTourneau Company.

FM5332FF

i believe it was called a land train, correct me if i am wrong. one of the bigfoot trucks runs the tires, it was in orlando fl for the longest time before the place that owned it went out of business.

crazyplowboy

Sources I've read say they are part of a Military program for supplying and protecting the Alaskan Tundra in the late 50's. Some others were tested in AZ in the early 60's. There is a "tractor" on display near Yuma, AZ. The is a tractor and some of the cargo trailers in a salvage yard behind Fort Wainright in Fairbanks. There are more remains of a tundra train near Alaska Pipeline Pumping Station #13. Built by the LeTourneau Company.
They were known as snow trains. I saw it on the discovery channel a while back.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That particular boondoggle was called the "Land Train".
Another idea that looked good on paper but was a nightmare in reality.
There was a junkyard in Yuma, AR, that had parts of one of them left that they bought out of Yuma Proving Grounds. I don't think they ever went into production and only a few prototypes were built.
They were powered by a diesel turbine that turned a generator, each wheel had an electric motor in it. They were to be used in the artic and desert environments where convoys of trucks could not go.
It had a "locomotive" where the crew operated it from and the engine/genny was located. It also had a kitchen, restrooms, crews quarters and freight cars.
Your tax dollars at work.:roll:
I visted that junkyard a few times and spoke to the owner about how he ahd acquired it. Seems he had a "connection" at the proving grounds and bought it for pennies on the dollar. It was so big he couldn't keep it whole. It was mostly aluminum so every tiime he needed quick cash he scrapped some more of it.
When I saw it there was only the control cabin, engine room and part of the crews quarters left.
There may be one whole example left but I can't remember.

YankeeDuece

"Yep, the award goes to YankeeDeuce. That is the BARC @ Ft. Eustis. How'd you know that from that tiny pic?? "

I saw the BARC in person, HUGE!! The give away was the bent-up Info marker low in the picture. Strangely, this I remember.

dc3coyote

Wrecker the only remaning one is owned by a guy in Alaska, he has nearly a mile of the trailers that go behind the control cabin. It was posted a few months ago, on pirate 4x4.
The whole set up is for sale I think the owner is asking 20k.
If only I could get it in one shot, I think I may need a long load permit

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Wrecker the only remaning one is owned by a guy in Alaska, he has nearly a mile of the trailers that go behind the control cabin. It was posted a few months ago, on pirate 4x4.
The whole set up is for sale I think the owner is asking 20k.
If only I could get it in one shot, I think I may need a long load permit [\QUOTE]

OK fellow steelsoldiers......time to take up collection.

Can you imagine bringing the control cab to a MV meet......it would be DA BOMB!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks