• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about buying an M105 in PA

Yarz

I found this trailer on the local Craigslist:
01313_h3qO9diElJr_600x450.jpg

The seller says it is an M105, and I was hoping someone could confirm that from the picture, since the intended use is behind my deuce.

I haven't actually gone to look at it yet because I've been trying to search the internet for more information on the second question regarding titling it in PA. The seller bought it from a base during an auction and stated that he has "a government certificate to obtain a title, that is their equivalent of a bill of sale." From what I understand, that should be the SF-97..

Is it as simple as taking that form to the PA DMV to get a title? I think I'd prefer to have the seller do this, in order to make sure it clears that hurdle before I purchase it, so how long does that take? Is it instantaneous, or is it like a standard title, where they mail it to you a few weeks later?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

painter paul

I believe most states would require the SF-97 be changed into a title by the original owner,not you. It's not transferable ever that I know of. In other words don't let him hand you the SF-97 and think you're OK.

harleyhouse

Pa sucks for title work on trailers. If the owner can do it let him. AAA has no clue about how to do it.
Find an oldschool title shop or talk to some of the junk yard guys and ask them who is knowledgeable in the work.
Fawn township? I am from Oakmont Hello Neighbor. Keep us posted on how you come out.

Yarz

Ok, that makes sense. I'm just north of Pittsburgh.

So the owner has informed me that they'd be willing to get the title into their name and transfer it to mine if I'm willing to pay the associated costs. Depending on how much that costs, that's good news.

He also stated that he has other M105's for sale as well. When looking at the ads I see they are a little cheaper, but are in a good bit worse condition, having more rusted away metal, and more peeling paint. However, I did notice the one looks to have the newer dual wheel caster assembly and dual air connections.

As far as I can tell from the TM is that the older single caster may not latch into position as readily, and that the extra air connection is the emergency connection. Is this setup that much more desirable than the older one? Enough to justify the worse condition?

Thanks again for all of your help. I am trying to get as much knowledge as I can before going to inspect, so I can have more bargaining chips.

Yarz

Promised to give an update:

Went to look at them earlier this week. I decided that the best M105 had too much metal that needed to be replaced to make it a worthwhile purchase, and the two others were even worse than that. They were even kind enough to let me pull the wheels to see if I could check out the bearings (it had the bigger nut: 3-3/8" I believe, which I don't have) and offered to give me the choice of wood.

They also had an M103 and M332 which were in much better shape and very cool to see, but were more than I was willing to spend.

Saw another local ad for 4 105's, and it shows one picture that looks to be in better condition, but no titles.. :doh:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks