• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of building the M936 spades

Mario

Anyone ever thought or did make their own spades?
Officially called "Wrecker Field Chock / Mud Leg", NSN# 2540-00-315-2306 and 3830-00-315-2306

These are hard to come by, and I was thinking perhaps I could even build it so the spade end was removable and the arm could be used as a spreader bar.

I also contacted Eastern, since they appear to have them in stock, to see what shipping would run me to Albuquerque NM, but I haven't heard back.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anyone ever thought or did make their own spades?
Officially called "Wrecker Field Chock / Mud Leg", NSN# 2540-00-315-2306 and 3830-00-315-2306

These are hard to come by, and I was thinking perhaps I could even build it so the spade end was removable and the arm could be used as a spreader bar.

I also contacted Eastern, since they appear to have them in stock, to see what shipping would run me to Albuquerque NM, but I haven't heard back.
@Csm Davis has a few dozen at his place in South Mississippi and any other wrecker parts or bii needs you may have

charlesmann

Freight cost 72in x 30in x 24in at 100lbs is $300 to a terminal or business in ABQ
$300 is a good price.
I just did the math from my location to hattisburg and it would cost me $285 round trip in just fuel and 18 hrs counting fuel stops/food.

I too thought bout building a set, but the ball for the tck socket could be more difficult than the spade and tube/leg itself.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
$300 is a good price.
I just did the math from my location to hattisburg and it would cost me $285 round trip in just fuel and 18 hrs counting fuel stops/food.

I too thought bout building a set, but the ball for the tck socket could be more difficult than the spade and tube/leg itself.
Pallet 72 x 36 x 30 up to 500lbs is $250 commercial to commercial for you.

Mario

$300 is a good price.

I thought about that. While I have a lathe and could probably cobble something together, I thought that if the ball was somewhere around 2" or 2-5/16", simply threading or welding a towing ball into/onto the tube, would be an easy task.

Mario

$300 is a good price.

I understand. Freight like that only makes sense to throw it on a truck/trailer that's already driving thru the town (in my case ABQ) and I could meet a person at one of the truck stops on their way.
Or, if other items are included/attached.

I got the MT654 tranny sent to me a few months back (8/9/21) from Des Moines to ABQ for $300. We declared 1,200 lbs, obviously non-stackable. That price was good at a few different carriers.

Mario

Yeah I have a bunch will let them go for $50 each. Shipping on buyer
Do you know the exact size if 2 were put together and their combined weight?

Also, do you have any other stuff for the wrecker (towbar, snatch blocks, wiffleboard/ hoisting bar, chains, etc.) that might be included on a pallet to help with overall freight charges?

Basically most of the BLL items.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Do you know the exact size if 2 were put together and their combined weight?

Also, do you have any other stuff for the wrecker (towbar, snatch blocks, wiffleboard/ hoisting bar, chains, etc.) that might be included on a pallet to help with overall freight charges?

Basically most of the BLL items.
Have most if not all of the BII for a wrecker and am willing to part with most of it.

The sockets bolt to the truck and the spades are held and a pin is put through hold them I think I have never used them these are off of a model M 816 wrecker I sold the truck and the buyer left them here because he did not want to hear them bouncing around in the back of the truck .

charlesmann

The sockets bolt to the truck and the spades are held and a pin is put through hold them I think I have never used them these are off of a model M 816 wrecker I sold the truck and the buyer left them here because he did not want to hear them bouncing around in the back of the truck .
Id just strap them down and poof, no rattle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks