• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

thoughts on electric fuel pump

Thumper580

I came across this and it looked interesting. 24v electric, compatible with gas, diesel, etc, 4-5psi

This solid-state fuel pump runs on 24 volts for marine applications. Maximum fuel delivery 32 gallons per hour at free-flow. Maximum pressure 4 to 5 psi. Typical flow 15 gph at 2 psi. 1/8 NPT female ports. Facet pumps are compatible with gasoline, alcohol blends (up to and including E85), diesel, biodiesel, and fuel additives.

This pump features a 400 micron internal filter and a bullet connector on the positive lead.

1669834418822.jpeg

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want around 8-10PSI to flow enough to cool the IP, those "impulse" pumps also make allot of electrical "noise" that can screw with the PCB.
this is my solution, not 24V but I have a dual voltage system.
It takes around 2-5PSI to get check valve in the return fitting on top of the IP to flow any fuel back to the tank. (thus cooling the IP)
You do not want over 11-12PSI as that will start to effect the IP timing, why I like this setup with a built in adjustable regulator.
This is an old pic, I have the pump set to 8-9PSI now

Attachments

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like mechanical things. I don’t like to add anything that complicates things. Mechanical fuel pump works when engine is running. Hahaha, that being said.I have replaced pumps on both of my trucks.
I would love to have a Duramax swap but I don’t want the computer and everything else required to make it run.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
AM General civilian/General Motors switched to an electric pump. Part of this had to do with the fact that the mechanical pump runs off the camshaft and eccentrically places load on the camshaft bearings so that oil pressure begins to fall and engines then stop running. There is a fix for this where the camshaft bearings are clocked differently to allow oil to enter the area differently.

Additionally, the mechanical pump can get holes in the diaphragm, and this allows diesel fuel to mix with lubrication oil and create another type of engine failure.

They switched to an electric device as an effort to prevent warranty issues on Detroit diesel engines.

Uncle Sam kept the mechanical pump in place so that it was easier to service and easier for fuel to bypass in emergency to allow troops to get home safely.

(Info as per Will L, my Diesel guru).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks