• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thousands of HMMWV may actually be sold to public; not a rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

B3.3T

A email ???from DLA Disposition Services

DLA Disposition Services is conducting a real study looking into selling thousands of 1980-2000 HMMWVs to the public through contractors who will certify DOT specs. A ways off, but could happen:
"The DOD expects to excess several thousand HMMWV vehicles in next two years. Until this point the organization where I am employed has destroyed the chassis of damaged vehicles to preclude any civilian use. However given the large quantities to intact vehicles we expect to receive, we would like to evaluate the possibility of selling these vehicles to a commercial concern to convert them to civilian specifications. These vehicles were produced by AM General from 1980-2000. AM General (and later General Motors) produced a street-legal version under the “Hummer” brand during this period. We expect to issue a request for interested parties to submit proposals in the near future. Please be aware that we are not interested in sales of small quantities to collectors or hobbyists, but rather to qualified conversion companies interested in large quantities for conversion to “street-legal” configuration and resale.

Prior to this announcement, request you poll your membership for any commercial entities that meet the above requirements and could help us gauge interest in this project. Any technical data on conversion process and costs your members possess that would allow us to better evaluate this option would be appreciated. We have already contacted AM General for their input.

Let me re-emphasize that we have not yet made any decision to proceed with this offering."

Last edited by a moderator:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's how it used to be in the demil manuals. Unfortunately, in the past no one did the conversions.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wont hold my breath. And if it DOES happen, it will cost big $$$ to do the conversion. And it wouldn't really be "military" anymore. Updating to whatever year they pick the DOT specs to meet would be tough. 2014? The year it was made? Who knows... Airbags, side impact protection, rollover protection, lighting, collapsible steering column, padded dash, the list goes on. What about the emissions standards? Lots of $$ to be spent just so they can sell them off AND still turn a profit... I wont hold my breath.

Last edited:

TankboyTV

We would be interested in 50 vehicles (HMMWV's) for conversion for use in the New Zealand and Australian market.

Do you know if these vehicles have legal title?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We would be interested in 50 vehicles (HMMWV's) for conversion for use in the New Zealand and Australian market.

Do you know if these vehicles have legal title?

There is no title as the trucks in question are still in the hands of the US Government. You will need to contact them. I think they are talking about thousands of trucks not just 50.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As soon as this thread turns into whinning about why the trucks are not allowed into private hands, it will be closed and deleted.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If these could be done at a price point of 15-20k I bet they would sell

what is everyone's price point and interest?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be cheaper than current HMMWVs. I can't imagine they could go that low and still turn a decent profit. Wasn't there a mostly legitimate HMMWV kit offered by AMG out there that was going for $65k+?

A memo from DLA Disposition Services

DLA Disposition Services is conducting a real study looking into selling thousands of 1980-2000 HMMWVs to the public through contractors who will certify DOT specs. A ways off, but could happen:
"The DOD expects to excess several thousand HMMWV vehicles in next two years. Until this point the organization where I am employed has destroyed the chassis of damaged vehicles to preclude any civilian use. However given the large quantities to intact vehicles we expect to receive, we would like to evaluate the possibility of selling these vehicles to a commercial concern to convert them to civilian specifications. These vehicles were produced by AM General from 1980-2000. AM General (and later General Motors) produced a street-legal version under the “Hummer” brand during this period. We expect to issue a request for interested parties to submit proposals in the near future. Please be aware that we are not interested in sales of small quantities to collectors or hobbyists, but rather to qualified conversion companies interested in large quantities for conversion to “street-legal” configuration and resale.

Prior to this announcement, request you poll your membership for any commercial entities that meet the above requirements and could help us gauge interest in this project. Any technical data on conversion process and costs your members possess that would allow us to better evaluate this option would be appreciated. We have already contacted AM General for their input.

Let me re-emphasize that we have not yet made any decision to proceed with this offering."

Paul Mank
Deputy Director (acting)
DLA Disposition Services
269-961-5906
http://www.dispositionservices.dla.mil/
That will be the day.:naner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdcjJoXeEY

jedawson1

If they were selling as is on GL today I wouldn't pay more than 10k to 15k for a good runner. If they bring them to modern dot standards they wouldn't be worth a penny to me. Plenty of other good 4x4's on the market for the money, if it isn't motor pool it holds no value to me.

What do you think AM general will say when they are consulted with?

BayDog

I hate to see anything go to waste but personally, I'm not interested in owning one unless they were pretty cheap. Not trying to offend anyone but after driving them in Iraq, I still prefer to wheel around my '47 CJ2a and my '79 Scout II. Plus with them needing to meet DOT standards and possibly State Inspections, I think the cost will be too high for the average working guy to spend. Just my opinion.

RustyM923

A rebuilt HMMWV converted to "civilian" specifications (FMVSS standards) and then resold...

This could happen, but they would definitely not be cheap. They also wouldn't be HMMWV's anymore....more like Hummers.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they were selling as is on GL today I wouldn't pay more than 10k to 15k for a good runner. If they bring them to modern dot standards they wouldn't be worth a penny to me. Plenty of other good 4x4's on the market for the money, if it isn't motor pool it holds no value to me.

I agree.

If they selling whole HMMWVs straight from GL right now, I venture to say you could pick up a runner for around 10K (maybe less). I'd be in if that was the case.

If somebody buys these HMMWVs and brings them up to current standards, it will probably cost prohibitive. That's why you don't see contractors waiting in line to get them. There's just no easy way to convert these things without more or less redoing the whole thing. There is also a liability issue with the converted vehicle. I'd venture to say it would probably be as cheap just to start from scratch and design and build a new vehicle than to try and convert a existing HMMWV.

The bottom line is it is more profitable to just buy them and scrap them than it is to try and rebuild them to meet fed standards. I don't ever see this changing.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen I am disappointed by everyone's lack of knowledge of the federal code and rulings after all the postings on the ga law changes

1. When the ga law passes we will be able to register and license hmmwv that are older than 25 years old. These vehicles do not need to be brought up to standards.

That is why I spent so much time getting the law correct and in sync with federal code and NTHSA rulings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks