• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Three Color U-Haul truck

Stagg

No I didn't repaint anything. I used an M35a2, and here is a mini story attempt to describe it. Nothing fancy, just a road trip in a deuce.

Back in early May, I started out near Lawrence KS, and drove, and drove, and drove..... to Ohio. It took about 18 hours of traveling, and about 25 days to post pictures:eek:

After Action Report:
-Weather was beautiful, sunny, 70s, and windy.
--I could have done without the 40 knot winds that tried to blow me sideways for the whole trip!
-truck and Engine ran beautifully for almost the whole 660 miles.
-Somewhere about Columbia MO, I blew the fuel line coming from last fuel filter, and that sucker really can leak. It had been dripping for months, but it finally gave up during my move. Thankfully I had a hose coupler, that I had used at work for air lines and repairs.
I stayed the night there, and left early-ish the next morning.
After that it was just me droning along.

Periodically, however, I had to stop and re-tighten my redneck cargo cover.
I have an extended cover, that is 19in. higher than normal, but I didn't get bows, and uprights in time... and with rain chasing me the whole way I didn't want to wait and build it correctly. Instead I folded it over on itself, and used it like a big "strong" tarp.
I'm quoting "strong" because half way across Illinois it tore a part the back door sections in one of those big gusts of wind. The wind was blowing strong enough that it was hard for me to stand between the trailer and the truck!

Thanks Illinois! Your usual aggravation is a lower speed limit that surrounding States... but I thwarted that, and got bit somewhere else:roll:

After stopping for more straps, I managed to finish the trip without any adventures bigger than buying fuel at a tiny gas station.

I will say that public response to these trucks is great! Lots of OTR drivers wave as they edge around, but I expect them to be more interested since it involves trucks. However, average people who can travel much faster, often slowed down to wave and look. Several of them try to say something, that is obviously not going to happen, but thank you anyways.8)

And before anybody says it. Here are the pictures.... The last two are from after the trip, when I had time to putter around.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stagg

Thanks for a warm welcome.

And the trucks been a real sweetie. I wasn't 100% sure she was going to make it with the fuel line leaking and the transmission howling.
However, with the leak fixed, and the rest working like a charm, then I guess that's the way things work.

She's a good candidate for a "Rattlewagon" name.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks