• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tight Valves --- Loose Valves

SasquatchSanta

After approximately 500 miles on the new engine I thought it best to check the valve settings. I was a little reluctant given that it's a new engine with only 500 miles but I'm glad I did.

All the exhaust valves were tight --- tight enough to cause valve problems. Several of the intake valves were tight and some were loose --- loose enough to make noise.

Not having anything to compare it with I wasn't sure if what I was hearing was injector/fire deck noise of valve noise. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a lot of it was valve noise. The truck is a LOT quieter now.

We were able to idle the engine down and adjust the valves with the engine running.

The moral to this story is --- check those valves --- you never know when they might be tight. It only takes one.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The valves are mechanical, not hydraulic. They should be set not running. How'd you keep a wrench on the nuts?

cbvet

I used to do a lot of work on Studebaker V8 engines with solid lifters. Always adjusted the valves with engine running. Much faster than turning the engine to TDC for each cylinder.
Keeping the wrench on is not a problem. It takes a couple of minutes to get the "feel" of the feeler gauge drag, but that's all.
Eric
CBVET

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Comment: On an inline. six cylinder engine, all the valves can be adjusted with the engine stopped, from just two positions.

Solid lifters need to be adjusted with the engine Hot & Running. Otherwise, you can't find the loose/noisy valves. It should be done with the major "Tune ups". It takes some practice, holding the wrenches, but that is the way to do it. When I was a Kid, it was a drag to learn & do, but necessary. The "Old Guys", insisted on it. Also, when the rocker arms become worn, with the groves that wear in them from use, you will get a false setting, if you adjust them with the engine stopped. "Solids" will be somewhat noisy. It is their nature - music, to some of us. I just don't want any of them standing out. You will hear the loose one "ticking", and the tight one will sound like a: putt, putt. That is easier to hear, an a gasser, then on a diesel.

Lee in Alaska

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks