• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Time for everyone's favorite game: identify this leak!

3jacks

Soon to be on gamehsow network...the Emmy award winning: name that leak!

seriously...drive gear retainer is dry, so is the steering arm cover. Only the nut on the lower ball joint is wet. Anyone know where this is coming from?

Attachments

kcobean

I'm a total newb, so i'm just trying to think through this....the only fluid in that area is the gear oil for the geared hub, right? And if the drive gear retainer is dry the only other egress points are the cover on the back side of the hub, or the output seal?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great thread title , that will really help people with similar problem in the future find the answer using the search function of the site.

3jacks

I'm a total newb, so i'm just trying to think through this....the only fluid in that area is the gear oil for the geared hub, right? And if the drive gear retainer is dry the only other egress points are the cover on the back side of the hub, or the output seal?
I don't know if the hub input or output seals could / would cause this...but there was no gear oil on the tire and wasn't sure if the lower ball joint had grease in it (I can't see a Zerk there). Thought maybe someone would have seen this before since that nut was soaked at one point.

Porky, i could change the title to "what is this leak". That would help the search function...don't like the title and don't know the answer...don't reply.

Last edited:

kcobean

I don't know if the hub input or output seals could / would cause this...but there was no gear oil on the tire and wasn't sure if the lower ball joint had grease in it (I can't see a Zerk there). Thought maybe someone would have seen this before since that nut was soaked at one point.
It's hard to tell the viscosity from the picture..is it grease or fluid on the nut?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A better picture would help. Suspect the seals on the hub though, since there is little else in that area. Not that hard to replace and worth opening them up to inspect if you never have. I did before I took my new-to-me M998 anywhere and am glad I did.

Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks