• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

timing adjustment after turbo instal

jsthnt@gmail.com

I finally got around to adjusting the timing on General Granite. Last year I added a turbo to the General, but I did not adjust to the turbo timing setting until today. I read the manuals and what ever thread that I thought might have information that would help. It looked simple enough. When the make on the engine was right the make on the injector was off just a little, maybe a 1/4 inch tops. Since it was this close I did not take the valve cover off and I could not get in position to see the make on the other gear, but since this was not a new ip I assumed that it should be right. I might have been wrong since I can not get it above 45 and 1500 rpm. It will go to 2600 rpm without a load. I am going to try again tomorrow. What do you guys with way more experience than me think I should do?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have clean fuel and filters?

You may need to increase the maximum fuel rate. You'll need a pyrometer to safely increase it.

You can use only a boost gauge, but it is not the best way. 10-12 max boost at load should be safe. This method is covered in the LDS engine TM.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I have ran about 2 tanks of fuel since the last filter change. One was pure fuel and the other one is black gold. It ran fine the day before. It was cold here yesterday so I thought that the fuel might be the case, so I scraped $25 together and thinned down the mixter. I have a pyrometer. Since I added the turbo I have not been able use the hole pedal before I reach the temps that I do not want to exceed.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I looked at the intake and exhaust sides last night and there was an oily residue on the intake. What would cause that? I read a good thread on the HH and this sounds a lot like the issues I have been having. I have ran out of fuel 2 times since I got it. Once it started to die about .5 miles from the filling station and I could keep it running somewhat and then it was hard to start, the other was after a filter change and my in tank pump died. I was able to get it started and ran for about 5 minutes but it died about 6 blocks from my house. I have steadily lost power ever since.

brianp454

General,
Forgive me, I don’t understand your situation. When you say you added a turbo; did you add a turbo to a previous non-turbo LDT-465? When you bring up timing I think you are referring to IP timing. IS that correct? The turbo doesn’t have any timing that I am aware of.
When you say you see oil in the intake, can you send a picture or detail where? Even a pic of your finger in the right hole will do. I have seen turbo’s that leak oil from the intake, exhaust, or both sides. Perhaps you have a turbo with a leaky seal? I have a new D turbo if interested.

jsthnt@gmail.com

turbo intake.jpgHere is a picture of the intake side of my turbo. I would love to have a D turbo, I just do not have the money. How much do you want for it. It was a non-turbo that I added a turbo to. And yes I am talking about the ip timing.

welldigger

When you say you dumped "black gold" in the tank I assume you meant WMO? If so did you just dump it in or did you do any prep work to it?

jsthnt@gmail.com

I made a filter system based on one of the SS member designs using a 100 pound propane tank and 2 house filters and a water blocking filter. I use air pressure to force it threw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks