• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

timing gear removal from crank shaft 6.5

richingalveston

Any one have any tips on removing the timing gear from the crank shaft. I am trying to install a gear drive and the gear pullers from autoparts stores won't fit. feet are to big to grab the groove

some say (on internet) to use two jaw puller and heat it.

open for any advice. cant find any on line help on the subject

Rich

richingalveston

I got it done, using the smallest puller the oriellys had, being set up as two jaw, you can get the jaws on two of the four notches/tabs, that stick out from the gear. I guess that is what they were designed for because that was the only way I could get it done.

One thing to look out for is getting the drive screw on the puller the right size, you need to make sure it bottoms out in the crank. The larger puller that they had was just big enough to mess up the threads in the crank if I were to use it.

I got the puller set up with some real good tension and heated the gear with a butane torch. did not have to get it real hot but the heat made it move. when you took the heat off it got harder. I kept just a little heat on it and got it off. you have to pull it about 4 inches, not just part of the way, no taper on the shaft. Also there is a second key on the outer shaft for the balancer. I could not get the key off so I pulled the gear over the second key with no problems.

putting the timing gear back on, I heated it so it was warm but not to hot to hold and it slid right on until the last 1/2 inch, I used a piece of pipe over the shaft to tap it the rest of the way on. shaft to long for a big socket.

will post up some pics
Rich

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks