• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips on installing front axle boots

I know it has been cover many times but please help any suggestions on the easy way to put the front axle booots on a deuce .please help they are wipping me . thank you all Kenneth

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here's the trick Kenneth:

I messed with mine forever until i figured this out. Starting on the inside clamp, you tighten the clamp just enough to loosely hold the boot on. The you work your way around the circle, making sure the boot is tucked in. Tighten the clamp a little, then make sure the boot didn't try to squirm out from under the clamp. Repeat until it is tight.

Then you move to the outer clamp.

You can't just throw the boot on because it isn't tight enough to stay on the ring on it's own. And even if you got it to stay on, you can't just tighten the clamp with abondon becuase the boot will squeeze out from under it.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do it w/o help, but it is WAY easier to have a third hand. Make sure the grooves are clean.

MDSA

Kenneth,

It took me 5 hours to do my first boot. That inner clamp kept slipping; Just had to stick with it - patience. Finally got it tight and the rest was relatively easy. Been fine ever since, except I noticed the other day I have a tear in the top of my 6 month old boot. Too much off-roading. Must replace before I ford anything deep.

Next time I do one, I will take the tire off; I left it on the first time because I hadn't yet bought a jack and stands heavy enough for the deuce.

Brian

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the main key thing to do that makes this an easy job is to clean everything of old grease. clean like new and dry. that way things stay where you put them. takes about 20 minutes to change boot.

sidewinder

I was pulling out what hair I have left, read the manual and was not making much headway on changing of the front boot seal on my 5 ton. I took a break did a search found some posts her, went back out after a Yuengling Lager Beer ( PA> beer fort hose not in the know) and in short time it was in :) Too much grease on surface and tried the glue trick. I dont know if there is a difference between Deuce and 5 ton but its in.
I really appreciate the tips I have found on this sight :D
Truck on.
Rob ... _._

ucfjeeper

What about clamp bolt location? I think I"ve seen somewhere that the proper orientation on the inner boot clamp is at 11 or 2 o'clock position or something and then the outter boot clamp is at the 12 o'clock position. Something to do with helping keep the boot from tearing when steering. I would like to know what the correct positions are as I am about to swap out my boots.

oh,.... and yeungling is great. Used to drink it all the time when I lived up in Jersey. Now, it's a little more expensive to drink it down here in FL and not every place carries it.

sidewinder

ucfjeeper said:
What about clamp bolt location? I think I"ve seen somewhere that the proper orientation on the inner boot clamp is at 11 or 2 o'clock position or something and then the outter boot clamp is at the 12 o'clock position. Something to do with helping keep the boot from tearing when steering. I would like to know what the correct positions are as I am about to swap out my boots.

oh,.... and yeungling is great. Used to drink it all the time when I lived up in Jersey. Now, it's a little more expensive to drink it down here in FL and not every place carries it.
The clamp goes at 12 as Recovery 4x4 stated. The clamp can only go at top as it sits above the zipper on the boot. I thought about putting it on bottom NG rubber pulls in and will leak. The top is where it needs to be.

TIP TIP TIP
After I put on the clamp and then put screw through the eyelets in clamp. Yes I put boot on first then the clamp AFTER. I did not assemble it and try to push it into place.

I cleaned the surface and removed all grease (very important to clean good)so I was no longer swimming with a slippery boot. I turned boot inside out and fitted it into the grove. I then went to my bolt supply and found a LONGER 8/32 screw which is what they are using. I was able to use a needle nose pliers to hold nut and turn screw to start the nut on.

This procedure took less then 10 minutes including zipping the boot. Now I tighten up the screw which was a tedious procedure but with patience and 11/32 12 point wrench it went smoothly.

After I put on the screw I re-folded the boot into place and re- assembled the cover.

A time saving measure would to buy a 8-32 socket head screw from http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3057

instead of a flat head screw and use a offset allen head wrench which would help in tightening the nut and holding both ends of nut and screw and should save more time and frustration.

Rob ..._._

sidewinder

ucfjeeper said:
the zipper goes on top? I thought the zipper went on the bottom? My boots have "top" molded into them.
There might be a difference between the 2 1/2 deuce and the 5 Ton which I am working on but the way it assembles the same. The manual for 5 Ton states zipper to the top. Check the TM Manual which you can download from resources folder.
Rob ... _._

Barrman

I put a solid boot on the drivers side by myself a few months ago with no problem. I kept expecting something after reading these kind of threads.

One of my students just a few minutes ago put the passenger side on by himself. I think the solid boots are easier to install. Plus, you get to do more maintenance to get to them so you know the front corner is ok.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a duece when you place the part marked "top" on the top the zipper will be toward the back on the passenger side and the front on the drivers side. It says this in the TM also.

jasonjc

I've put on 6 of the one pices boots in the past 1 1/2y. They are by far the best. But I was also replacing all the seals. So it was a part. If one is tron and you KNOW evey thing in side is good to go then a zipper boot would be faster. In doing all the stuff evey thing is nice and clean and that helps alot.

There are different boots out there buyer be ware!
I got a zipper boot off ebay once that is super thick and stiff. Much more like plastic that rubber. It will be a cold day in he!! before I use that one. The New Star boots seem to be real good and come in soild and zipper. I don't understand why the zipper ones are cheaper than soild thought?? :? :?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks