• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tips on unsticking a fan clutch?

Shaun387

Any tips on unsticking this fan clutch? I've put 90# of air directly to it and beat on it pretty good with a long 1/2" extension and a mallet. I am hitting on the pulley area. Tried hitting on the edge of the clutch, but it looked like it would damage the housing. You can see the marks where I've been hitting.PXL_20221123_175708848.jpg
PXL_20221123_180144644.MP.jpg

springer1981

One, you're pounding on the pulley and it has nothing to due with the fan clutch. STOP beating your pulley.

Here are the posts from my stuck fan clutch. If yours is anything like mine.... well, no amount of beating will help.

In this post is shows the pulley is bolted on separate from the fan clutch (the reason you need to stop beating it).

Once I removed my fan clutch and took it apart, this is what it looked like...

This is after I rebuilt it and reinstalled. there may be some reading between the first link and the last regarding the fan clutch.

If it is anything like mine, you'll probably need to pull the radiator stack at a minimum.

papakb

They really aren't that hard to take apart and clean and lube inside but if the roller bearing is nasty or the shaft that goes thru it is scored it's time for a new clutch. The friction material gets ugly but will clean up nicely and after you have a chance to look at it it's really only the shaft and that small front clyinder that do any moving. There are a couple of good You Tube videos on how to do it.

Shaun387

I'm going to go ahead and tell on myself. Got the stack pulled and fan clutch pulled. Decided it was a great time to clean up the engine bay. Put my air nozzle on the air hose, squeezed it and NO AIR! Turns out I had the wrong hose plugged in and never was putting 90# to the clutch! Hooked the air to the clutch on the ground, still wouldn't free spin, three small hits with some channel locks and it easily spins.....lol.

At least I have a spare fan clutch coming now....lol

springer1981

I'm going to go ahead and tell on myself. Got the stack pulled and fan clutch pulled. Decided it was a great time to clean up the engine bay. Put my air nozzle on the air hose, squeezed it and NO AIR! Turns out I had the wrong hose plugged in and never was putting 90# to the clutch! Hooked the air to the clutch on the ground, still wouldn't free spin, three small hits with some channel locks and it easily spins.....lol.

A simple mistake is a small price to pay versus $350-500 for a new fan clutch. Glad you figured it out!

Thumper580

OMG.... Sounds familiar. On my first truck (M998) the previous owner wasn't very handy..... My fan clutch wasn't working either.... Went through all the normal stuff to get it to work. Ordered a new fan clutch.... Pulled all the coolers and radiator stack.... The hose was sitting on the nipple, but not snapped in place:mad: . Looking at it through the blades it looked OK, but NO.... Anyway, I put the new fan clutch on and all was well. Geez.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks