• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Help

UPFINN

After purchasing a deuce in July and a period of neglect for about a month or so (vacations/camping/travel!), I need to start working on my truck to make it safe for wood hauling this Autumn and ready to store during our brutal winters, then about 100 miles of travel per week to farmers markets in the Spring and Summer, along with a possible 600 mile round trip to Minneapolis.

I measured the tire pressure in the rears today and I am getting anywhere from 10 to 25psi on the sliding gauge on my cheap hand actuated tire inflator. One rear tire does not even read anything on the guage :shock:. Fronts are at around 55psi. I have the standard 9x20 ndts.

I realize these tire pressures are dangerously low. I am concerned about airing the rear tires back up to 50psi due to the potential for the lock ring to blow off. I feel somewhat embarrassed for studying, inspecting, and learning everything about the engine, brake system, drivetrain, etc and ignoring the tires. :oops: I have little knowledge of working with split lock ring tires.

I figured I'd start first by getting a 5ft extension hose for my tire inflator, and a locking air chuck. I see there are two kinds of air chucks. There is a short chuck with a locking lever that goes right on the end of the air hose hose, and a long metal dual end "straight foot" air chuck that is supposed to lock onto the threads on the valve stem, however I see no lever. I would think the chuck with the locking lever would be more secure and reliable, however more awkward to get into the inner duals.

What would be the best air chuck to use? Is it safe for me to inflate the tires from 10-25psi up to over 50, or will I have to completely deflate the tires and bring them to a shop to have the bead and ring re-seated? Will a 5 foot hose be long enough to keep me out of harms way when inflating tires on the truck?

I also plan to remove all the tires to get at the drum brake assembly to check pad wear and adjustment so I can finish my brake system inspection. Will I have to take precautions when removing the lugs and wrestling the tire/rim combination off the truck?

Looking for a bottle jack right now. I know the 8 ton military bottle jacks had a maximum height of 19.5 inches. Most civilian jacks lift only up to 14-18 inches. Don't know if that would be enough. Instead of jackstands I plan to build cribbing. I like the stability of the wider footpring but I am concerned the typical 2x4 cribbing blocks build for cars and civy pickup trucks would not be strong enough.

When I get my tires off, I'd figure I should get newer tires. Having a very hard time finding 9x20 or 11x20ndts in the wilderness of Upper Michigan. I will have to travel at least 300 miles to find tires or have them shipped. I've heard that new 11x20s with an upgraded tread pattern can be bought at the average tire shop. Don't think the price would be pretty as a new Titan 9x20 ndt is $600.

I do not think I can afford super singles, and I imagine they would be a bear to steer without power steering. I did hear singling out the 11x20s work great for improving maneuverability. Would be nice when I have to go into downtown for markets. A smaller truck will not do, as I will need all of the deuce bed space for my stuff:driver:

The rear tires on my truck now have about 1 to 3 tenths of an inch of tread left before the wear lines. The fronts have a half inch. However, most of the tires have minor cracking, with one having a small crack on a sidewall. I don't know how many more miles they will last.

So far the deuce has been a blast to drive and work on. Awhile back I hauled about 2000 lbs of insulated freezer panels down a extremely rutted dirt road and it performed very well. The truck is great for the work I need to do and I want to make sure I maintain it and learn to do it safely and efficiently, and thats the reason for all the questions!

Responses will be greatly appreciated! I will try getting out to take pics of my truck and maybe upload some tomorrow.

Flyingvan911

It is good to be careful but as long as there's pressure in the tire, the locking ring will stay where it is. I run 50 psi in my 9.00x20 NDT's. I recommend a quality 18 wheeler tire gauge with the double opening.

I'd buy the military air hose (or make one). It clamps on to the emergency air connection on the back of the truck.

Just check the rims and locking rings periodicly for damage. As long as they are in good shape you're fine. If you remove the tire and plan to let all of the air out then chain it well and stand back.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
there should be almost NO gap between the ring and the wheel and even all the way around, then you are ok. it is when rust gets going and pushes the ring away from the wheel that there is a problem. also the rings in the rear face each other so you are protected, the fronts not so.

quickfarms

I have found that the angled front chuck does not work well to air up the inside duel, I prefer the two footed chuck with a straight front chuck. Use Milton or other quality equipment.

Tires weather check. If you are concerned replace the front tires at least. A good truck tire shop will let you know weather the tires would pass a DOT inspection.

UPFINN

Thanks for the advice all!

My dad went back to auto value and will pick up the chuck and other connections. Going with the straight foot Milton chuck and hope it works. I figured I should probably set everything up for running my air tools off the truck also. Adding a quick connect to the air supply on the inner firewall, with 50ft of air hose under the seat. Looking into a 20 ton hydraulic air jack too.

UPFINN

Here are some pics of the tires.

This is the right front tire. The ugliest one. Rust on rim and rubber has cracks. Tread is good.

image.jpg

Here is a close up of the ring.

image.jpg

Here are the cracks.

image.jpg

Wear on rears.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Left front.

image.jpg

Truck in full glory.

image.jpg

Hauling wall panels for lumber kiln.

image.jpg

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need new tires for any safe travel or public roadway travel. A set of NOS 9x20 or 11x20 NDT arn't expensive and if given the option take the 11s for better speed/ lower rpm. I just sold a set of 11 95%-100% tires to a member in California for $100 each. That's tire, tube, and insert so the deals are out there so price isn't an excuse when it comes to safety.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks