• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire Swap Info Needed...

archmark

I want to swap the existing NDT's on my M109A3/M185A3 to a more readily available military tire with the least amount of hassle. What's the simplest, easiest tire swap without having to resort to adaptor plates, duals to singles, etc.

Thanks...

Mark

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Find 6 lug 22.5 wheels from the m105a3s and go to a commercial type 11r22.5. Recaps are cheap. This allows you to keep duals

Very few choice 11r20s in the civilian world. And the once abundant g177s that deuce owners sought for cheap prices have dried up mostly.

You can put 395 85r20s on the stock deuce rims but its not recommended if you want singles. Looks a little goofy as well.

archmark

Thanks for the info Simp. What's a guesstimate on the freight cost for shipping 11 of your 11r20's to Waco, TX? Any idea and they'd be a simple swap by an experienced tire shop, right?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes's link goes to a place in Virginia. You may want to ask them for a quote.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Shipping on 10,11 or 12 tires from VA to waco is $350 for 2 pallets

That is not my ebay ad.

Some tire shops won't do split ring wheels to check with the shop

You will need new tubes and flaps for the swap unless the tires have them

archmark

Shipping on 10,11 or 12 tires from VA to waco is $350 for 2 pallets

That is not my ebay ad.

Some tire shops won't do split ring wheels to check with the shop

You will need new tubes and flaps for the swap unless the tires have them
Simp:

The shipping cost sounds reasonable. The tire shop I've used before is:

Lone Star Tire
1701 E. Waco Dr.
Waco, TX 76704

and they've changed out tires for me before so there's not an issue with split rims. Let me check with them in the next day or two and see if they'll bo OK doing the deal and getting a total install cost from them. I'll probably get 12 as I have one on my M934 that has a cord that's broken and keeps rubbing through the patch and is a slow leaker. I'll get back to you shortly.

Thanks...

Mark

m715mike

Hi Mark. It’s been awhile. I hope you are doing well!

Are those the same tires on your M109A3/M185A3 that you had at the rally a few years back?

archmark

Hi Mark. It’s been awhile. I hope you are doing well!

Are those the same tires on your M109A3/M185A3 that you had at the rally a few years back?
Hey Mike, long time no hear. Yeah, they're the same old rubber that I had on back then, less another one that blew out on me on the way home. They're really looking rough now, more wrinkles & cracks than Joan Collins face, so now I'm working on a deal for 12 80-95% G177's. I've gotta do something soon as their "use by" date has long passed.

I've also found a hardtop for my 5 ton, so that's the last piece I need before before I start on a repaint of the M934. I'm thinking of doing it in WW I Battleship Grey/Gray with the blackjagged camoflauge pattern. What do you think. I'm pretty tired of Desert Tan & Woodland Camo, so I'm thinking of going in another direction with it.

What's new with you & yours? Catcvh me up when you get a minute.

Later...

Mark

archmark

Hey Mike, long time no hear. Yeah, they're the same old rubber that I had on back then, less another one that blew out on me on the way home. They're really looking rough now, more wrinkles & cracks than Joan Collins face, so now I'm working on a deal for 12 80-95% G177's. I've gotta do something soon as their "use by" date has long passed.

I've also found a hardtop for my 5 ton, so that's the last piece I need before before I start on a repaint of the M934. I'm thinking of doing it in WW I Battleship Grey/Gray with the blackjagged camoflauge pattern. What do you think. I'm pretty tired of Desert Tan & Woodland Camo, so I'm thinking of going in another direction with it.

What's new with you & yours? Catcvh me up when you get a minute.

Later...

Mark
Kinda like this but not so intense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

m715mike

Well, I’d agree... you are definitely due for a set of tires on the Deuce!

You’ve got a unique idea for paint on the 5-ton. I bet it will come out good.

I’ll give you a shout this weekend to catch up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks