• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tires, wheels, brakes, T-case, lockers and axle seals, general fixes

HN6

Finishing up gathering parts and pieces. This will be a first for me.

Replace sprag T-case with a air T-case Service all the brakes (new wheel cylinders) and all 3 axles seals/gaskets/boots. Add Yukon lockers. Picked up 7 tire wheel combos in Anchorage...very happy to find them at a great price! Make templates.... possibly purchase... ill figure that out. Also picked up a tow bar cheaper than I could weld one up. See what else pops up to make better or just good maintenance.

Attachments

yolner

Looks like a fun todo list. Would be good to see the details of the locker install and a review. Been thinking about installing some when I put my truck back together.

HN6

Looks like a fun todo list. Would be good to see the details of the locker install and a review. Been thinking about installing some when I put my truck back together.
I will do that as I do the install. I have had Yukons before and liked them. Yukons were 100 cheaper than Detroit and free shipping.

HN6

Don't let me fool you... I don't really know what I am doing.. the only reason I am partially successful is because I am to dumb to quit. transfer case?? i looked thru the TM 9-2520-246-34-1 Transmissions, Transfers & Power Take Off for 2 1/2 Ton Trucks.

Before I install my new to me tcase what should i check out? I don't really want to tear into it, but i will if recommended. Just trying to get mentally focused for the big week ahead starting Monday.

HN6

Pulled the bed, hotwater pressure washed frame and all parts, completed one wheel. Hopefully the other 6 be finished tomorrow.... depending on if I do any real work or not. Smashed my head twice on the bumper and once on the mirror. I really need to get used to those items they are putting a beating on me. So far so so good, see how they drive down the road.

Brake lines all need to be replaced from the quick visual I gave them while cleaning. One of them has already been crimped off by previous owner and a few rubber hoses look to be almost cut through where attached to frame.

Attachments

HN6

Finished the wheels today. Took for a ride down the hwy and a little off road. Ran great at hwy speeds. About killed destroyed my arms on the creek ... ouch need to fix up power steering!
395/85/20 goodyear mv/t on FMTV wheels converted to to 6 lug.

Attachments

HN6

Yes I did. We are going back soon to get a few more wheels and build a set for my friend as well. I got the t-case, tow bar, and tire package there.

HN6

Probably. He was talking about clearing everything out and moving to his other property. He has been at it for a long time and probably just ready to relax since times have changed all around his place.

HN6

Started on rear axles today. I watched video's yesterday and took my time today after finally getting all my lubes and cleaning supplies organized I got started. Replaced the brake cylinders, cleaned the bearings and getting items ready for install tomorrow. Both rear axles had clean gear oil, but the middle axle didn't have much in it. There was basically no grease in the wheel bearing areas definitely not packed in there.

Attachments

V8srfun

I appreciate when people take the time to document their work like this. I have thought about making detailed write ups before but when I get working I don’t want to take the time to clean up ant get the camera out.

Reactions: HN6

HN6

yukon locker install... search Hanks deuce . He has the best write up. Very easy install.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks