• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Titling/registering M923 in Indiana. Like to hear from the Hoosiers who have done it.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have tried searching for the answers and haven't come up with much so I apologize if this has been covered or beaten into the ground. I have found a few threads about trials and tribulations or lack thereof from other states, but not much that applies to or will help me here in Indiana.

So here goes:
I am awaiting the SF97 for my 5 ton and was hoping to hear from fellow Hoosiers on the best and easiest way to get it titled and or registered in Indiana. What problems may have popped up and how they were dealt with especially. I have called the main office in Indy twice and have gotten different and conflicting information. They immediately start talking commercial and CDL when I mention the size/weight and airbrakes. Also was hoping to hear definitively about the air brake/CDL/personal use in Indiana issue. Do not have CDL any longer, but could get again if a necessity.

Last edited:

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to Greensburg either tomorrow or Wednesday to get mine taken care of. I know they have done 4 trucks that belong to another SS member. You do not have to have a CDL. Check out this link that explains registering the truck as a military vehicle.

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/2010/title9/ar18/ch14.pdf
Thanks for the info. I have read that section. Are you titling yours tomorrow as well or just going for the registration? Let me know how your trip to the BMV goes. PM if you would prefer.
Thanks

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you titling yours tomorrow as well or just going for the registration?
I have the title, I have my numbers painted on, I have pictures of my numbers for them to send off. I hope I have everything I need to get this taken care of. I attempted this once in New Castle and they looked at me like I had a third eye. I thought I would go somewhere that has done it before in hopes that goes better! I will let you know how it turns out.

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made it to Greensburg today. A couple of very nice ladies helped me out. I was in and out in about 20 min. There are now two ladies there that know how to do this process. If you want to make it easy on your self, I would recommend going there if you can. Just make sure you have all your info with you like the vehicle inspection, title, insurance, pics of your military number painted on both sides of your truck and the rear and you should be good to go.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely will go there if I need to. Only about 45 mile drive from here. Thanks for the info. So you have yours registered as a former military vehicle now using numbers painted on the bumpers and sides of hood?

brasco

I made it to Greensburg today. A couple of very nice ladies helped me out. I was in and out in about 20 min. There are now two ladies there that know how to do this process. If you want to make it easy on your self, I would recommend going there if you can. Just make sure you have all your info with you like the vehicle inspection, title, insurance, pics of your military number painted on both sides of your truck and the rear and you should be good to go.
I had a good chuckle today... I stopped into the Greensburg BMV this afternoon about 5:30 to renew one of mine and they said that you were there. I think they are good and experienced with the MV process now... I was in and out in 10 minutes or less... They know why I am there as soon as I walk in the door.

bigbird1

Definitely will go there if I need to. Only about 45 mile drive from here. Thanks for the info. So you have yours registered as a former military vehicle now using numbers painted on the bumpers and sides of hood?

You can also paint them on the inside of the doors and it will work, I talked to a lady at the Indy office and she said it was ok. thats how i did mine and it went through fine.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to have your local or county police do a vin check prior to going to the BMV. You can get the form online from the BMV site for them to fill out.

RodUSMC1962

We had to train the girls at our dmv, three of us have done about 15 vehicles and trailers, after the first two, no problems. One of our guys got stopped, leo never heard of the mv law, had to show him paperwork . I have never been stopped yet, carry paperwork in all vehicles. :driver:

galaxie428

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you have yours registered as a former military vehicle now using numbers painted on the bumpers and sides of hood?
I have mine painted on the bumpers and doors.

I had a good chuckle today... I stopped into the Greensburg BMV this afternoon about 5:30 to renew one of mine and they said that you were there. I think they are good and experienced with the MV process now... I was in and out in 10 minutes or less... They know why I am there as soon as I walk in the door.
The lady that helped me said she had to tell you to go away Saturday!

Jayrassic

Just bought a m813 yesterday and will be passing through Greensburg IN on Tuesday. I have the truck, it has an Indiana title, I will paint the numbers in 3 locations and take photos tonight. My question is do I still need the police inspection since registering as an antique, and if so what form is it? Look forward to y'alls thoughts. Excited!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just bought a m813 yesterday and will be passing through Greensburg IN on Tuesday. I have the truck, it has an Indiana title, I will paint the numbers in 3 locations and take photos tonight. My question is do I still need the police inspection since registering as an antique, and if so what form is it? Look forward to y'alls thoughts. Excited!
Since it already has an Indiana Title that means it has already been inspected and verified. They have to verify it when you use an SF97 because it is not a title.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since it already has an Indiana Title that means it has already been inspected and verified. They have to verify it when you use an SF97 because it is not a title.
Indiana does not recognize the sf97 reassignment. The sf97 needs to be in the buyers name. As said though, since it is already titled in Indiana you do not need the vin check done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks