• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TNriverjet's M-1083 Recovery

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Success! We made it home safe this evening after a 60 mile recovery from a rural county Sheriffs Dept. I was assisted by our own tnmogger who drove over from the Knoxville area yesterday and camped overnight. He was a great asset in helping me check over the truck and change out a dry rotted tire. We had to use the spare from his M-1078 as my newly acquired M-1083 had a flat spare. The truck was running when we arrived, but we had to shut it down while checking over items like fluids, hubs, lights etc. and change tires. It would not restart on its own, but the Houston Co Sheriffs Dept kindly allowed us to use their HMMWV and slave cable. It was an enjoyable 45mph convoy home once we had everything ready.

M-1083 home at last
IMG_4392.jpgIMG_4394.jpg

And tnmogger's M-1078 with the assist.
IMG_4393.jpgIMG_7008.JPG.jpg

We are planning to swap tires back again in the morning and maybe fix my flat spare. I will post a few more "post-recovery" updates tomorrow.

on the immediate list is:
CTIS controller
cab air ride
drivers side front turn signal and headlight
spare tire patch
swap bad tire out for old spare.

The NOCO Genius charger is on the batteries now via slave port, so hopefully it will start on its own in the morning.

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I would suggest you use the NOCO Genius on each battery by itself. This way the battery will get whatever it will need to recover. After all batteries have been charged to green light individually, then use the 24 volt slave port to maintain them.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to wrap up this "recovery" thread with a few more updates. I will then move over to the FMTV section and start a thread on repairs, mods, updates, etc.

Battery update:
Noco through slave port was not a success. tnmogger helped me diagnose the two bats on the 24V (high) side were dead. We took them out and put them separately on NOCO chargers. One is "reviving" and one is apparently not repairable. I have them on the chargers still and will leave them overnight.
IMG_4398.jpg
We then installed the two good batteries with one 12v and one behind to get 24v. The truck starts and runs well on these two as a temporary fix until I can get the others repaired or replaced.

Also I gave Bob back his spare before he had to leave.
IMG_4400.jpg

Then moved several tires around to put the best two on the front. Put the worst on the intermediate (middle) axle. And load the completely useless flat spare back into the spare rack.

IMG_4401.jpgIMG_4409.jpgIMG_4405.jpgIMG_4407.jpgIMG_4408.jpgIMG_4403.jpg

-Adjusted hinge on drivers door so it no longer pinches against body when opening and lubed door hardware.
-Tapped out threads and reinstalled hydraulic control panel cover
-Greased driveline
-Unplugged CTIS controller for now... diagnose later
-Determined engine fan is in failsafe "full on" mode. Will repair like on previous M-1078
-Took obligatory ride with dog for first tank of diesel
-Parked in FMTV parking spot vacated by previous M-1078
IMG_4414.jpgIMG_4412.jpg
Tomorrow is another day.

Special thanks to Bob (tnmogger) for all his assistance and knowledge on this recovery!

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The links aren't "lighting up" at this end of some reason.Any idea what that's about?
I don't know. The iPhone was not acting right last night. I've edited the post above with my laptop and now hope the photos are showing up.

As an update, one of the batteries came up and the other didn't make it...
IMG_4416.jpgIMG_4415.jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Don't give up on the battery not coming back. Make sure you water levels are up and use the G7200 to go at it again.

and, if it really is low low on volts, you can leave it on the repair 13.6v setting for 2-3 hours and then go to the auto charge mode.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks