• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took my Bobbed Deuce down the 1/4 mile track today... (timeslips inside)

HanksDeuce

So I finally took my bobbed deuce drag racing today. The event was an annual diesel truck show at State Capitol Raceway in Port Allen, LA. Using past experience from racing days gone by I made sure to have the least amount of fuel possible (1/4 to 1/2 tank). And I stopped off at the bathroom just before my run. :D

Notes:
- I got smoked by a very nice Peterbilt on my first pass
- I got smoked by some LS powered G8 car on my second pass
- No video to speak of unless someone from the crowd sends it to me later
- Tire pressure was 50 psi
- If I had to estimate weight with me in it today I would guess 14,000 lbs
- Ambient temperature = 87 F
- First pass I turned my A/C off
- Second pass I left my A/C on (you can see it made no difference)
- I would make a decent bracket racer don't you think?

I'm not quite sure how to improve my 60 ft time with this engine. It doesn't "wake up" until a few seconds into the run. I guess I've never really researched how to load the converter up on this Allison AT545 mated to this Cummins 12 valve. I put my left foot on the brake, and I pressed the accelerator down a bit. I didn't want to break the beams early, but I ended up going on the 2nd yellow on the .500 Sportsman tree. Maybe I need to research what other Cummins engine owners do? No trans brake thank you. LOL

Attachments

HanksDeuce

Anybody else up to the challenge of taking their military vehicle down the 1/4 mile? I'd like to compare my times with others. I smell a challenge! :D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I had my bobber I found the best way to drag race was by starting off in Low Range 3 hitting 4 and 5 upshifting to High Range dropping back to 4th and then up to 5th.

I still wasn't the fastest thing on the road but I took a lot of people by surprise.

That's funny ! and the visual in my mind is even funnier ! rofl
Hey! OK, here is photographic proof.

This is us crossing the finish line at a local High School Homecoming parade.

It was a close race, but we lost to a golf cart. I am sure it would have turned out differently, if I would have had the cannon pointing in a different direction, but I was concerned about our rear flank. The horses were behind us.

Walnut 2013.jpg

teletech

Cannon pointed to the rear is correct, you just have to have your passenger fire-reload as quickly as possible so the reaction thrust gets you some speed.

It was a close race, but we lost to a golf cart. I am sure it would have turned out differently, if I would have had the cannon pointing in a different direction, but I was concerned about our rear flank. The horses were behind us.

View attachment 623416

rustystud

View attachment 623416

That mule looks assume ! Love the cannon !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks