• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Took the M1101 for a tow today

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I took the M1101 out for its first proper tow behind my new H1. It had been sitting around collecting leaves since I sold my HMMWV. Shockingly, one of the tires had gone flat, but I was able to use my handy dandy CTIS compressor to air it back up. The only other issue was the pivot on the stiff leg had gotten a little crusty. A quick shot of grease got it limbered up and working fine again. I hitched it up and the boys and I took it on about a ten mile tow to the state forest and back. I'm looking forward to putting it to work again this spring hauling mulch, etc...

IMG_4915.jpgIMG_4917.JPGIMG_4919.JPG

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice setup.
Love the H1's

I thought the trailer would have been more level with the H1.
Looks fairly nose down in that last pic.
Tires on H1 smaller?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks! It is more nose-down than I would like too. The H1's only have a receiver hitch, no pintle, so I am using a receiver/pintle mount. It sits a little lower than the pintle mount on the airlift bumper would sit. My H1 has the same 37" MT's as the HMMWV. I remember the trailer riding a little nose-down behind my M998 too.

Nice setup.
Love the H1's

I thought the trailer would have been more level with the H1.
Looks fairly nose down in that last pic.
Tires on H1 smaller?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! It is more nose-down than I would like too. The H1's only have a receiver hitch, no pintle, so I am using a receiver/pintle mount. It sits a little lower than the pintle mount on the airlift bumper would sit. My H1 has the same 37" MT's as the HMMWV. I remember the trailer riding a little nose-down behind my M998 too.
Its been a while since Ive seen an H1 in person and forgot about no pintle.
Reciever hitch only explains the nose low.
You are correct about them also being a bit nose low on the M998.

Still looks good.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question.

I love my M998
I would still take a H1 over a M998 etc. anyday.
They are sweet!
Also priced accordingly.....

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Cool, I'll have to keep an eye for you around Charleston. I've pulled one of my M1102's over 10,000 miles and like it very well.
Nice. Didn't know there were any SS guys in Charleston. We should get together sometime.

Mine sits pretty darn straight with the pintle. Can the H1 be upgraded to a "proper" pintle?
You could easily put a pintle on an H1 since the airlift bumpers are the same, but the receiver hitch uses the pintle bolt holes to attach a support bracket. I thought about buying a pintle extension like they used on the HMMWV's hauling radio shelters, but it would look a little goofy. It would let me switch from a pintle or receiver hitch trailer pretty easily though.

Good question.

I love my M998
I would still take a H1 over a M998 etc. anyday.
They are sweet!
Also priced accordingly.....
I really liked my HMMWV, but definitely prefer my H1 for daily driver/kid hauler purposes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks