• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Touch Pad Light Control Fail

Heavysteven

Well, my nice touch pad light controller is not working. Only about half the modes work. I followed the direction perfectly to. The ground is perfect. So guess I am going to put the old three way in till I can trouble shot. I am so upset because it really adds a modern feel to the interior.

Any one no how to trouble shot these modern touch pad light controllers?

Billy Bobbed

I bought mine used around 6 months ago its still working.I love it.I ran a ground from the battery to the switch.I would like to know the life expectancy of these swiches.

Heavysteven

I thinking mines 8 months. My ground is to the dash. I sanded the area to bare metal before I bolted the ground. Maybe I should have gone to the battery.

Stalwart

I've had 2 fail and both times it failed turning on all lights. I traced down the problem to relays that were sending back EMF to the board in the pad, the IC's were burnt and broken. IC's operate at around 5V or less. Back EMF voltage from a relay can run as high as 200V (very low amperage) and fry the IC's.

asgtoolman

I installed mine about a month ago and love it--grounded to dash only.
I always drive with headlights on and it sure is easier to remember to cut them off in daylight hours with that little blue light glowing on the dashboard.
I hope it works forever; but I saved my 3 way.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Steve, there is a thread out there somewhere where somebody did the research and found out what fails and showed how to fix it.

I think-if you can't find it, let me know and I will look for it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never had a 3-way explode. Nuff said.
:ditto:

Mine did the same thing. I used to brag about how good my push button switch was until it almost burnt my truck down. I believe I'll stick with the old lever style from now on.

Heavysteven

Old 3 way is back in and lights work now.

I pulled the touch pad in half. It's made of two circuit boards. I will post photo's tomorrow but from what I have seen it's to complex to repair.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks