• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Bar Mod. Do or not

bigboy44

I have a medium tow bar and it is very heavy, I will not try to pick up one side! I have been parting out some dueces and have saved some handles off the frame and wanted to put them on the tow bar to make it easier to handle and also use the handle to route the air lines and tow cables through. Would this be good or will there be some sort of interferance, I need some advise before I weld these up!
Thanks2013-03-13 Tow Bar Mod. 001.jpg2013-03-13 Tow Bar Mod. 002.jpg

Artisan

Your towbar is assembled WRONG.

Remove the castle nut and bolt at the front by the lunette ring

and replace it w/ a proper flat sided pin. Now move it around 50%

of it at a time. You should get the TB / TM for the towbar.

I recently towed 7 M trucks behind my M925A1

After the first hookup I asked the guys to let me alone.

It is easier to do w/o 2 guys pullin and yankin' against each other.

Hook up one side to the vehicle in-tow,
Hook up the other side to the vehicle in-tow,
Connect both halves together with the pin you are missing,
Raise the front on to a 2x4 of proper length,
Back up and hook up...

Easy.

Artisan

WAIT A MINUTE!

What is that? Did someone modify a medium towbar or
is that a different flavor?

I do not see telescoping parts!

What am I looking at? A "old" towbar?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hook up one side to the vehicle in-tow,
Hook up the other side to the vehicle in-tow,
Connect both halves together with the pin you are missing,
Raise the front on to a 2x4 of proper length,
Back up and hook up...
:ditto:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have always heard them called a heavy medium. I have two of them. I always hook them up by myself. (Maybe because no one wants to help :neutral:)

bigboy44

WAIT A MINUTE!

What is that? Did someone modify a medium towbar or
is that a different flavor?

I do not see telescoping parts!

What am I looking at? A "old" towbar?
Artisan,
It is fixed no telescoping, i may have it wrong and if I do please correct me.
Thanks

Rkrug

I think that sounds like a good idea, my big bar has a set of handle/pin holders on it they are nice for lifting it and moving it around.
IMG_0496.jpg

M813A1

RKrug, yours is a Heavy Tow Bar,it has the carrying handles in the middle, it is used to move tank and other heavier vehicles !!

There are two Medium towbars one can be either fixed in length or it can collapseable for storage or be lengthened to give more clearance between vehicles !!

Last edited by a moderator:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Are you going to MIG weld them on? That would be my route. Not a bad idea for schelping them around and a good place to route air and electrical lines. I have hooked them up by myself but it is a PITA, especially with backing up blind and not knowing if you have the lunette and pintle lined up.

wsucougarx

Unfortunately the castle nut is correct on this towbar Brad. I say unfortunate because it's very difficult for any one man to lift the thing. Doesn't make for an easy break down of the towbar. I bought a NOS one of Craigslist for $40. Well it still sits where I slid it out of the back of my Dodge Ram some three months ago. That thing is HEAVY!

bigboy44

Are you going to MIG weld them on? That would be my route. Not a bad idea for schelping them around and a good place to route air and electrical lines. I have hooked them up by myself but it is a PITA, especially with backing up blind and not knowing if you have the lunette and pintle lined up.
wreckerman,
That is what I am going to do the mig is right next to it, I need to weld the new floor in that utility body and then stat on the tow bar. Routing the air and towing light cable through the handles will help keep them from draging also. I was also thinking I may weld some brackets in the wrecker bed and use the handles to hold the tow bar in place.

Thanks

emr

I put the D ring handles on the tops of my pins, It works very very well. ( easy to lift,easy to pull pins out) Made em tall enough for gloves in winter but not so tall they are goofy:)The front only needs the one, and the legs have one each that way , and they never get in the way of storring her, If you get creative storring her they may be a problem, As for the castle nut, yes get a pin, But the Mil uses those on those medium bars allot.( and its a medium bar) . I am assuming some came with them because I have seen so many .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks