• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tow bar storage mount

mattgunguy

So we bought a medium tow bar & the goodies to go with it yesterday, & now I'm in a quandary. I've been looking & I can't can't get a good idea of how to stow the damg thing properly on the truck. I saw a storage rack on egay, but I'm not wanting to spend another 200 bucks. So my question is this, does anyone have pictures of a storage rack I could use to fabricate one for myself, or something similar. I'm not wanting to just put it in the bed of the truck. Weighs to **** much to lift that high.

Thank you
Matthew

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
under the front of the bed is a popular spot, going from side to side. There's a gap that's good for storage, just have to fabricate something to keep it from sliding out.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also just slide mine up under the bed. I can get it up there in one piece without too much trouble and it doesn't move at all when a put a couple straps around the ends.

Attachments

If I were you, I would keep the feet and pins locked up in the toolbox. They are easy pickings for people with sticky fingers and little integrity.
IF you are referring to my mount (which you may not be), then if you flip the tow bar to where the pins must be removed in the direction of the base, there is no way to get the pins out. The only thing that could be stolen would be the two pins that attach the tow bar to the truck. The tow bar is mounted backwards in my pictures.

maxxplanck

IF you are referring to my mount (which you may not be), then if you flip the tow bar to where the pins must be removed in the direction of the base, there is no way to get the pins out. The only thing that could be stolen would be the two pins that attach the tow bar to the truck. The tow bar is mounted backwards in my pictures.

Do you have a pic with the tow bar on the bumper of a m931, m923

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I keep swaping trucks, I don't have permanent mounts. On the tractors, I strap the tow bar crossways on the flat plate immediately aft of the spare tire. On the M939 series cargo trucks, I strap the tow bar on top of the two tool boxes. I don't want to lift them any higher than I have to, and the bed seems to get higher as the weight of what ever I'm lifting increases.

Jeepsinker

No you have a solid product there, I was referring to if it ends up strapped up under the bed.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one of CBR's mounts and I can tell you if the gov't had bought this they would have paid $2000. It is first rate.

I bought one of CBR's mounts and I can tell you if the gov't had bought this they would have paid $2000. It is first rate.

Thanks. Currently I am cutting them out of some 'scrap' 1/4" I bought cheap. Once that is gone the price will likely go up some. Wish I could sell them for $1k, not to mention $2k!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also just slide mine up under the bed. I can get it up there in one piece without too much trouble and it doesn't move at all when a put a couple straps around the ends.
I did mine across the rails too, but did it in the space between/above the rear axles because I had my bows stored in the fornt cavity. To secure it, I used a small chain thru the ring and a turn buclet to sinch it up tight. The pins for the feet pull up against the frame rail on the other side so the bar doesn't rattle. Pics are on a downed puter or I'd put them up.

mattgunguy

So I just got my tow bar back from the powder coater, so I'll be a bit on the snotty side about the finish for a few months till it gets messed up anyways. Do your mounts have enough play in it to put a piece of rubber between it and my bar. Also I'm wanting to mount it across the frame rails under the winch.

Attachments

So I just got my tow bar back from the powder coater, so I'll be a bit on the snotty side about the finish for a few months till it gets messed up anyways. Do your mounts have enough play in it to put a piece of rubber between it and my bar. Also I'm wanting to mount it across the frame rails under the winch.
No they don't, I could modify them some to make them large enough for a piece of rubber. Mounting it on the framerails under the winch may prove tough to actually get the towbar IN the mounts, unless you have two people. The bar cannot be put in the mount one piece at a time (at least not when it is upside down).

I will look into redesigning a mount that may bolt to factory holes on the front bumper, if there would be interest.

mattgunguy

Just an idea here. You could take a piece of say 1/4x2x2 angle iron and blow holes in it to match up to the factory holes for the frame rail extensions. Maybe a piece of 1/4x1 1/2x 2 channel would be better. Then weld this to your backing plate. Mount this to the frame rails, then bolt your brackets to the welded backing plate with some high grade bolts.

Another idea. Take a piece of angle iron that is the same thickness as the space between the two cut sides. The sides could then be welded directly to the angle iron and the angle iron could then be bolted to the frame rail.

oh, 3'' sch 40 pipe split down each side will give you a good diameter on the inside to give you some slop for a piece of rubber between the mount and the tow bar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks