• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towbar

JCease

I am not bidding on this. I just wanted to pass it along to those who might be able to benefit from it!! I am MV-less for the time being, but I am looking!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the 6056 bar. Basically it's just an older design. There is an MWO that brings this bar to the current 7094 bar standards. Basically they were breaking at the welds and the MWO has 4 collars that are slid over the welds and then welded in place. Also of note is this bar has the axle clamps used mostly in lift tows. They can be used to tow a truck without a bumper or can be attached to a bumper if it is rigid enough. Another thing to be aware of is the adapters. They are a cool design with 3/4" hole on one side and the 1" hole on the other. Just flip them over for different applications. Again there was a problem with breakage on these and Uncle Sam did away with them. Towing an unladen deuce like most of us do there should be no problem with the adapters. Remember these bars were rated at 42,000# in the collapsed position. Most hobbyists never tow that much weight.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using a towbar without the MWO is asking for trouble. I have an extra MWO kit for sale. $20 plus actual shipping if anyones needs it.

n3uka

While we are on the subject. I am looking for a towbar to use between my deuce and cucv. If anyone knows of 1 not too far from MD let me know. thanks

i wonder if those axel clamps are availible for the tow bar that i have? can they be used to flat tow? or would flat towing with the axel clamps create to much angle on the bar? n3uka i bought mine from a guy in FL. he worked with me on getting it brought to within 200 mi of my house. when kenny told me about him he had more than one. Pm me if you want his contact info.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axle clamps will work on the flat tow. The axle clamps are the same. You use them in conjunction with the 1" adapters. As far as the angle, you may have to extend the bar quite a bit. Using the shackles would be best if possible. Was that Sonny Heath? I forgot about the ones he had!

ida34

I got one from Sonny about a month ago. I also need the MWO kit from emmado. Sonny got it brought up with a friend for $60 to get it to within an hour of me. I had to wait a month or so to get it but shipping the thing would have cost an arm and a leg. Any bidders on the GL one should keep in mind it is listed as 600 pounds. Shipping would be a killer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my towbar from David Kelone in Peoria ILL many moons ago. He shipped it in 2 pcs unwrapped. Cost me $125 for UPS to bring it. The axle clamps are quite heavy too. If anyone really needs the weight, I can throw them on the scale.

Kenny, yes that was sonny. thank you. Chuck, what tow bar do you need the update for? if it's the one that you bought from sonny then i may need the update also and not even know it as i bought one from him on the same trip ! as far as the axel clamps go i think they would be a nice option . more choices cant be a bad thing. as far as my tow bar weight i would guess it at no more than #250. i wonder where they came up with #600 ?

n3nuka, if you can wait until Aberdeen you should have your choice of tow bars. One of the regulars had two sets at the Red Ball swap meet at Jim Thorpe, PA this weekend. He, and/or others will have them at the East Coast Rally.
FYI, as of Saturday morning only three vendor spaces were unsold for the Aberdeen Rally, they are probably all gone by now.

ida34

Dave,
I am sure the extra weight is the crate and the axle clamps. They are real heavy. Still seems a little high though. I need the update for the bar I got from Sonny. I think all the bars with the older all in one adapter need the MWO applied if it is not already done.

Also to all. The manual for the older bar is posted in the publications section. Take a look. It shows the different tow configurations.

Chuck

rizzo

don't beleive GL on weights. they said my M543 wrecker weighed 19,500# actual = 34,500# and 3 rims I bought 150# actual = 434#

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks