• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a civvie trailer behind an MV?

Terrh

I've got a 1991 Leyland with the standard giant NATO 24v trailer plug, airbrake gladhands and a beefy pintle hitch that sits about 33" off the ground.

I've also got a 1999 Haulmark 24' enclosed trailer that I'd like to pull behind it. It uses a 2 5/16 ball that is set up for roughly 20-24" ball height, has electric brakes and 12V lighting. Lets say it'll never weigh more than about 10kLB fully loaded, that gives me a pretty solid safety margin in case I need to tow one of my pickups behind it on my open trailer or something.

What's the best way to go about handling this? I'm thinking I'll need to build a receiver for the leyland that sits under/bolts to the framerails at the back of the truck. Looking at how thin/small the factory one is behind my GMC, I'm thinking if I use 2.5" 3/16" wall square tube welded to some big C channel, and bolt that to the framerails with some 14mm or 5/8 bolts it should be plenty strong, and easily twice as strong as the factory setup under my GMC.

Anyone make an affordable adapter harness to handle the lighting things? I don't want to have to install dual voltage lights into everything, and I need a brake controller to be legal even if not to be safe.

I think my interior lighting/etc might be 12V already, which means I could probably pull a turn signal/stop signal from the gauge cluster bulb and run through a relay to power the trailer. That's a lot of work though if I can avoid it and just buy a harness with built in conversion.

Oh, and right now the leyland is on the opposite side of the continent from me, so I need to build all or most of this stuff here and then get it rigged up and working where the truck is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks