• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M211 with tow bar

WYomer

Quick question. I bought a M211 about 2 hours away. Its running but needs a total fluid go over and such.

So my dilema is do I spend 2 hours greasing/filling, new batteries or just lumber my 1990 M23A up there? I have a tow bar for my 5 ton but Ive never used it.

How do the M211 tow? Guessing strap the steering wheel, pull shafts from T-case and go?

Thanks!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
One thing to be prepared for is the tow bar hookups on the m211 are likely slightly smaller than 1" (I think 15/16"). One of my GMCs towed great with no driver or strapped wheel, the other had front end issues and needed someone to steer it.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air up the front tires so it tracks well, they my not turn with the tow truck in soft ground.
Do all the safety things when towing, chains, lights.
Good luck!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't pull the driveshafts, make for sure the transfer is in neutral. I was towing a M221 and either I did not get it in neutral or it jumped into gear. Soon the truck became super hard to pull. I stopped and the Hydramatic was super hot.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one of my old veteran buddies tow one recently without checking the manual. We're not sure if he cooked it yet but it was hot. I was never a 'read the manual' guy so without the previous boys coming forward with their stories, I might be a transmission burner too.

The info in the manual goes something like this.

Page 70/71 9-8024 states flat tow over 15mph and 10 miles in distance requires the removal of front axle drive hub flanges, transfer to pillow block propeller shaft assembly and transfer to forward-rear-axle propeller shaft assembly.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?183865-Towing-M135-with-a-5-ton-M54

What's with the info on tying the steering wheel? I see other guys mention it and we know the wheels turn following the towing vehicle so is it just rubber ties to resist the wheel a bit or are guys actually tying the steering wheel tight?

M37keppy

I have towed them with my M816 without any problem. The best option is to pull all three drive shafts but it’s a pain in the butt. If the tires are aired up and you got oil in the diffs. With the tow bar It trails right behind the 5ton like nothing. However you want to do it the key is to isolate the transmission so it can’t be turned when towing. The hydramatic has a rear pump so the truck could be pull started.

WYomer

Thank you all! Plowboy i see pulling front flanges instead of front DS. Sure it helps with freespooling for turning.

Then the rear DS to isolate the tranny.

Tie the wheel some say yes some say it tracks. Guess we will see.

Wish i had a large trailer. That really is the best answer like oboyjohn said. But its not in the cards and the local shop wants 3x what i paid to tow it

WYomer

If my tow bar pins are 1” and this is 15/16th i guess i can get some G8 bolts. I doubt that 1/16th” would notice. Thoughts?

M37keppy

You can get tractor drawbar pins in any size. They are hardened and have a hole for a safety pin. I think you need 7/8” if it hasn’t been worn out bigger.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the time you remove everything the TM tells you to remove for flat towing, you could have had it on a trailer and be half way back home after stopping for lunch .

They're not THAT heavy, a decent 8 lug tandem axle trailer will haul it if it will fit on .

Don't tie off the steering wheel if you do flat tow it, how is it going to "follow you" if the wheel is tied off .

WYomer

Got it home late. Of course it rained on me too😂.

But I had an extra set of knuckles with my tow bar....perfect fit! Add safety chains, remove 3 driveshaft flanges, secure driveshafts and slow road testing.

Tracked amazingly really. Even when Google maps took me through a washed out back road!

I appreciate all of your advice thank you again.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it home late. Of course it rained on me too.

But I had an extra set of knuckles with my tow bar....perfect fit! Add safety chains, remove 3 driveshaft flanges, secure driveshafts and slow road testing.

Tracked amazingly really. Even when Google maps took me through a washed out back road!

I appreciate all of your advice thank you again.
Thanks for the update! Great way to "complete" the thread.................Do have to mention the "lack of pics" though...............LOL Congrats on getting her home safe and every appendage still attached! =)

davesgmc

is it possible to just pull the shaft between trans and transfer case easier than all three shafts? asking because i am getting ready to tow on myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks