• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing Question

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all, i got a question for the more experienced/veterans Mv's owners. It is ok to tow very short distances, the the ramp the boat with the humvee? Dry wight is about 6,000 pounds plus trailer, gas and all should be around 9,000 pounds give or take. The closest ramp is about 1.5 miles away.

Also my concern is the slippery good year tires at the ramp.

I do keep a reliable Nissan Armada just for this operation, however i might get rid of it if the humvee takes the task.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With proper hitch and brake controller, it's not impossible to tow that amount, but it's highly discouraged.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To go further in depth to my previous answer:

(edit: looking at your picture, I'm assuming you have an M1123 from the A2 front bumper and no rear bumper. If this is wrong please correct me as some of the answers change a little)

The HMMWV isn't really designed to pull heavy loads. The military rates the A2 series at 4200 lbs towing. That's a cross country rating, but it's the only one they give for it.
The H1 from the same years is rated for a gross combined weight of 14,500 lbs.
The A2 HMMWV is rated for truck gross weight of 10,300 plus a 4200 lb trailer, so 14,500 lbs.

As far as I know only one company claims their hitch is good for more than 4200 lbs of towing, and that's the Federal Military Parts 10k lb hitch. It's around $700 plus freight.
Then you'll also need to install a trailer brake controller, a 24-12V lighting converter, and all the associated wiring. All that will easily cost you another $500+.

So short answer is, if you're willing to spend $1200-1500 or more in order to slowly tow your boat 1.5 miles there and back, and not be able to take it anywhere else, then it might work out for you.

To go into further depth for hitches, the "pinball" style hitches are good for a couple hundred pounds and that's about it. Plenty of stories of people bending them with trailers that most of us would consider to be light.
Plus if you need to use a drop ball with them, the further the ball is from the hitch, the more leverage on the hitch, and the easier it is to bend it.
Legally, for any load more than 3k lbs or 40% of the tow vehicle weight in most states you are legally required to have trailer brakes. Even as short of a trip as you're talking you're unlikely to get caught if something happens, but if something does happen then you might be considered at fault for not having them whether you caused it or not.

For longer towing distances, the engines in these tend to have heat soak issues. Under heavy loads the rear cylinders can't get rid of the heat fast enough, so eventually you can end up blowing the engine. The GM engines would crack the rear cylinders due to the heat soak, the GEP engines have fewer cracking issues but can still be cooked to death.

I believe that RetiredWarHorses mentioned before that he has had to replace multiple engines in H1s and HMMWVs that were destroyed by people trying to tow too heavy of a load with them.

Unless you have a good reason to get rid of the Armada, I'd say keep it around for tow duty and whatnot as it's going to tow better and be more comfortable. The HMMWV is a fun toy and cool, but eventually the novelty wears off and the lack of aircon and other creature comforts gets old for extended drives.

Last edited:

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To go further in depth to my previous answer:

(edit: looking at your picture, I'm assuming you have an M1123 from the A2 front bumper and no rear bumper. If this is wrong please correct me as some of the answers change a little)

The HMMWV isn't really designed to pull heavy loads. The military rates the A2 series at 4200 lbs towing. That's a cross country rating, but it's the only one they give for it.
The H1 from the same years is rated for a gross combined weight of 14,500 lbs.
The A2 HMMWV is rated for truck gross weight of 10,300 plus a 4200 lb trailer, so 14,500 lbs.

As far as I know only one company claims their hitch is good for more than 4200 lbs of towing, and that's the Federal Military Parts 10k lb hitch. It's around $700 plus freight.
Then you'll also need to install a trailer brake controller, a 24-12V lighting converter, and all the associated wiring. All that will easily cost you another $500+.

So short answer is, if you're willing to spend $1200-1500 or more in order to slowly tow your boat 1.5 miles there and back, and not be able to take it anywhere else, then it might work out for you.

To go into further depth for hitches, the "pinball" style hitches are good for a couple hundred pounds and that's about it. Plenty of stories of people bending them with trailers that most of us would consider to be light.
Plus if you need to use a drop ball with them, the further the ball is from the hitch, the more leverage on the hitch, and the easier it is to bend it.
Legally, for any load more than 3k lbs or 40% of the tow vehicle weight in most states you are legally required to have trailer brakes. Even as short of a trip as you're talking you're unlikely to get caught if something happens, but if something does happen then you might be considered at fault for not having them whether you caused it or not.

For longer towing distances, the engines in these tend to have heat soak issues. Under heavy loads the rear cylinders can't get rid of the heat fast enough, so eventually you can end up blowing the engine. The GM engines would crack the rear cylinders due to the heat soak, the GEP engines have fewer cracking issues but can still be cooked to death.

I believe that RetiredWarHorses mentioned before that he has had to replace multiple engines in H1s and HMMWVs that were destroyed by people trying to tow too heavy of a load with them.

Unless you have a good reason to get rid of the Armada, I'd say keep it around for tow duty and whatnot as it's going to tow better and be more comfortable. The HMMWV is a fun toy and cool, but eventually the novelty wears off and the lack of aircon and other creature comforts gets old for extended drives.
Thank you for the through answer. No specific reason to sell the Armada, just a car that gets used occasionally.
Yes, M1123 no rear bumper only difference i installed a turbo engine. No difference at all for towing capacities i assume.

Installed a towing hitch however i can guarantee you i did not pay $700 for it. While the trailer has integrated brakes everything mentioned here just convinced me not to do it, i was skeptical already.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the through answer. No specific reason to sell the Armada, just a car that gets used occasionally.
Yes, M1123 no rear bumper only difference i installed a turbo engine. No difference at all for towing capacities i assume.

Installed a towing hitch however i can guarantee you i did not pay $700 for it. While the trailer has integrated brakes everything mentioned here just convinced me not to do it, i was skeptical already.
Only reason I have the $700 hitch on my truck is because someone within driving distance bought it, then realized it wouldn't work with the airlift bumper so sold it to me half price. Black Dog didn't have their receiver out yet, and none of the other ones on the market looked like they would handle towing a real trailer (without venturing into the H1 world)

As far as I know the turbo doesn't do anything really.
I know some of the REV trucks have a gross weight of 15,500 because of armor, but I don't know if they are also rated to tow 4200 lb trailers like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks