• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer Dollys

brianrbull

I am in need of a trailer dolly, preferably one of the lighter duty ones....8 ton possibly, or is there one that is lighter than that? I want to pull a 5th wheel trailer behind My deuce , Or my wrecker.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M197 or M197A1 are 6 ton units and use deuce wheels. M198 and M198A1 are 8 ton and use 5 ton stock.

M1075

M197 or M197A1 are 6 ton units and use deuce wheels. M198 and M198A1 are 8 ton and use 5 ton stock.
Kenny, you have got me second guessing my memory! Mine must be the 8 tonners, because I am almost certain they have the 5 ton wheels. I bought them at McAlester Army Depot last summer. I'll have to look into it some more. Thanks for the insight.

Canislupus

Could you mount a 5th Wheel Receiver in the back of a 1 1/2 Ton Trailer? That's what I'm thinkin' about doing. Sounds a bit Hokey, but it appears that it would work...

Comments? Am I Insane?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canislupus, you could but that chassis is really light for job. Armyman30yearsplus built one out of an M200 that worked well. There is a thread here somewhere. M1075, that sure looks like an M198 dolly.

Canislupus

Canislupus, you could but that chassis is really light for job. Armyman30yearsplus built one out of an M200 that worked well. There is a thread here somewhere. M1075, that sure looks like an M198 dolly.
I have an opportunity to buy an OLD HUGE 20 Ton one, and it's basically a P.O.S., and needs new everything. (Hoses, fittings, all of the Air related stuff.) It's been sitting in somebody's back yard since about 1967. Tires are shot too. I just can't really justify $1200.00 with the amount that I'm going to possibly use it.

And the Tongue weight on my 5th Wheel is only about a Half Ton MAX.

I think I can make one out of the receiver I have except need the trailer part.

Anybody seen a cheap M200 around Oregon (Tigard) anyplace?
Am already looking in on a 1 1/2 Ton, waiting for a call back.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 197 has 6 lug wheels and 9.00-20's. I use it to move the 127 with the M35. But it's a little light for that when the trailor is loaded. I'd love to have a 198 instead.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOT a lightweight, they claim this one is military. Southeastern Equipment Co. Augusta, GA $4,250 Wayne
Maybe it's made out of military parts, but it looks like a weld-up job to me. Perhaps made from semi-trailer axles, but it definitely looks cobbled together...

grounded

Banned
I got a M200 with a 818 5th wheel plate on it for a dolly also. (still got to finish if i can stay home enough to do it)

HEY ferro thats a good looking trailer ;) still let me know if you ever go to part with it

Hammer

About to do the M200 trailer with the 5 ton 5th wheel setup.

Seeing pictures of Andy's with the fenders on it still make me want to keep the fenders on my M200 trailer.

grounded

Banned
Hammer im also keeping my fenders.

my main thing im looking into is how far forward are guys putting the 5th wheel center pin in reference to the axle centerline. for proper weight transfer?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks