• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer help

Benham118

I recently purchased an old military trailer. Being a novice I have no idea how to identify it. I have discovered that it has split rims and no one local to me (Elkin, NC) can change tires on this style rim. I want to find new wheels with the 6 lug pattern, new tires etc… I was hoping to use this starting in June. More direction needed and appreciated, see photos for reference.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your trailer is a 70 year old relic from WWII. Commonly called the “Ben Hur 1 ton”, it was manufactured by dozens of companies during the war (see picture). As far as your wheel situation, the Army bought a similar trailer in the 90s equipped with 22.5 tubeless tires and rims. These can be found now on the surplus market and that is what you need.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get out of the urban area. You can find tire shops that will do split rims.
He might be right, the wheels on that trailer are the same as GMC CCKW, the lock ring is not split, you have to kinda manipulate it just right to get it to come off the rim. This style rim went away eons ago, even truck tire shops that do lock ring wheels will be mystified.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those lockrings are touchy, indeed. I make grinder stands out of those so they will go away but still be useful.

If the height is acceptable, a good pair of M35 wheels will do just fine.

Otherwise, 6-bolt Budd lowboy wheels will do.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks