• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION - It's LIFE or DEATH !!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This simple and short video readily explains the LIFE or DEATH consequences of improper WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION when pulling a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM

It's also referred to as WEIGHT & BALANCE.

Insufficient load on the TONGUE results in excessive and potentially catastrophic whipping of the towed load.

KNOW YOUR EQUIPMENT !!!

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lo and behold...

I posted that video yesterday and just this morning saw an F-150 pulling single axle flat trailer about 10' long. A pallet of bricks was on the very back of the bed. And, of course, the trailer was whipping back and forth just like this. The guy could only do about 25mph in a 45 mph zone.

:doh::deadhorse:

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

You know I beat my head against trailers on a weekly basis about the same subject. The boss at work will not listen cause I'm 25yrs younger, never mind the fact that I grew up in my dad's auction buiness loading trailers. From farm equipment and tractors to tools and anything else inside a house.

They almost turned over a trailer and threw off the Bobcat off cause for one it was loaded to far forward AND it wasn't tied down at all! Only damage was 2 tires and rims that were badly damaged.

Just this week he bought a new tilt deck trailer for the Electric dept. and brought the ditch witch home on it as it was getting a front hoe installed. So I went to reclaim the chains taken from the dozer trailer and found of course that it was balanced almost completely over the trailer tandems. On top of that only 1 chain was tight on one side!

Chain your stuff down good, if in doubt put another on it! And you'd rather put a little to much load on the tongue than to little! Accidents due to either are typically catastrophic and sudden.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TehTDK

I know that weigth distribution as well as balancing the load is key. I am presently going through my HGV license and driver certification course which includes knowing how to calculate where to put your loads as well as how to properly tie it down. Its insane how many straps some loads require, but its all for a good reason.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks