• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer Case Help

Jakelc15

My transfer case was acting up a few months ago and I finally got around to checking it out. Tractor pull is coming up! So it started kicking out of low and I didn't bother with it. Too cold outside. So I tried it again the other day and it wouldn't come out of Hi. I pulled the seat and floor up, took the cover off the t-case and couldn't see anything broken.

I spoke with Ian aka lavarok about his when it broke which seemed to be almost the same symptoms. His had broken the shift shaft in two. I kinda remember someone elses doing the same thing. But mine was not broke and that tiny hole they call an access is a joke.

So I got frustrated and jammed a prybar behind the synchro and pop, It moved to neutral! It shifts Hi to neutral and neutral to Hi like it is suppose to. I can shift it into low when stopped but cannot when moving. No synchro action at all.

So my question is what part do I need to order! Lol

What is puzzling me is that there is only one synchro in there, but it works on the Hi side and not the low, Could this be the culprit?
The gears looked good, doesn't pop out in low anymore.
Drove it today, just like any other day, and it didn't change its symptoms.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't even try it, except pulling the entire front output section.
And don't order anything! Except maybe a longer prybar...!LOL
It sounds to me as if you needed to check your TC mounts for excessive movement as well as correct adjustment of the shift linkage. Do you ever hit the floor (tunnel) with the shifter?
You said no synchro action, while in motion: is there a grinding noise when you are trying to shift into low? If not it might just not be traveling far enough in to stay engaged. Also if the dogs of gear and synchro are looking fine the only other reason for popping out of gear could be the linkage between TC shift shaft and shifter resulting to long.

G.

Jakelc15

The linkage is adjusted right. It gets gear to gear tooth contact going into low. It's like trying to put the trans in 1st or reverse before you stop. The mount doesn't seem to move any. and the shifter is about 2 inches from the floor when in the low detent. The position of the shifter handle hasn't changed from when it was working fine to now. But shifting it always seemed to have a whine when I held pressure on the synchro.

Has anyone had the input shaft out? Is the synchro kinda like two mounted back to back as one?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its very similar to the 4th-5th synchro in the tranny, only 4 times as big and perfectly symetrical! (front and back side is the same)

OK, so linkage is well adjusted, TC firmly mounted, gears not worn, momentarily not popping out, but hard shifting with grinding noise, eventually no shifting at all: forget the prybar and easy fixes - you might need a new synchro and eventually replace some bearings too! (see that other thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=30927&highlight=136-27

To bad, the only way to check/replace this is to tear the case completely appart.
Quiet a job for a weekend...

Shoot some pics!

G.

Jakelc15

Yes time is an issue, my weekends usually get more stuff packed into them than the entire week! I guess I'll find a synchro and try to pull the input shaft out without removing the entire t-case. Probably put some bearings in it too. Would like to get this done before the Tractor pull in April and low range would be nice for the veterans day parade in november too.

OLDCHEV4X4

"Houston, We have a problem."
Sounds like a big and heavy job Jake. So in your previous thread, when i asked you if you broke anything.........I guess the answer was yes.
Good luck and i hope you get it done intime.

Randy

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes time is an issue, my weekends usually get more stuff packed into them than the entire week! I guess I'll find a synchro and try to pull the input shaft out without removing the entire t-case..................

Try it.... I say it's a waist of time and you will end up pulling the TC anyways! That shaft with the gears, brgs. and synchro mounted in between comes out (and is re-installed) as an assy only. Certainly NOT without opening both case halves!

Jakelc15

Well I have a three day weekend ths week! I use to split 4th alot until it quit shifting. I don't think the tractor pull broke it but I did almost break the factory shackle that I put into the pintle.
Not much use in pulling it yet, I drive it almost everyday, and it may take a few days to get a new synchro. I'll be sure to get some pics of the busted parts, whatever they may be.

JDToumanian

I don't know about availability in your area, but around here, a good running take-out transfer case is cheaper than ordering the parts to overhaul one. Swapping it out isn't difficult, I've done 3 of them.... I use a small chain fall hanging from my shop crane stuck through the open passenger door. I lower it onto a furniture dolly and roll it out. Screw lifting eye bolts (good ones, not made in china junk) into the top cover bolt holes.

Jon

Jakelc15

I'm afraid to pull it down right now and it need those expensive bearings or a gear. I'm running short on money right now, Just bought 11 11:00-20's for it today! Woohoo:-D Maybe someone will have a t-case at Aberdeen this year. Would be easy if i could just call spicer and order the stuff but ya know that ain't happening!

chicklin

Did you ever figure this out? I've got a similar issue. Will shift into HIGH and NEUTRAL just fine, but will not go into LOW whether it's moving or stopped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks