• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

transfer case problems

supermechanic

On a M 51 the t-case wants to jump from high range to neutral when decelerating .
Any known fixes for this?
Does anybody know if this is a common problem?
Tag on side of case indicates depot rebuild some time back.

Somewhat related question, found some cases up for auction,but don't know what model number mine is.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do transfer cases have thrust washers?

supermechanic

A little more info.
I drained and refilled the case , I didn't find any metalic fines in the oil, just oil.
I pulled the access cover near the top rear, thinking that maybe some adjustment was possible to the rail detents.
I couldn't find any adjustment.

Seems to me that the cases are very common items for replacement, due to the large offering at surplus auctions.
So, was this something that the army cured by putting in a rebuilt unit, or is a quick fix available?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the high range sliding gear is worn, i beleave these are syncoed transfers, that to will cause it to pop out of high range, my old m52 did that for 2 years before i replaced the transfer, i found that it was cheaper to put in a god takeout then rebuild it, i just installed a shift gate like what is used on the front winch lever to keep it in high range

supermechanic

Shift gate sounds like a good idea.
Currenty I use a bungie strap, an idea I borrowed from all of the two stick Macks I ever drove.
Only down side to a gate is that it makes splitting down difficult.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
na, i had it set so i just reached down with my wrest against the shift lever and fliped the gate, though most times that i shifted into low range i was stoped. and yes i did the bunge thing until i installed the gate, the gate made it easer for me to shift into low, not having to undo the bunge, i found that split shifting wasnt that effective in the m52 or the 5Ts that i drove in nam, the gearing isnt right for split shifting, not like a twin stick

supermechanic

Granted, splitting the 5 ton isn't that effective.
But when loaded to the point where I wouldn't want to have D.O.T. scale me, it is more effective than just grinding up a hill in second, with the engine bouncing off the governor, 'cause third gear makes it fall on it's face.
Usually going from Hi, third to Low fifth worked, and then I have the whole box again to row down through.
Getting back into Hi on the roll sometimes proves difficult.

supermechanic

Hi, All.
Update on the transfer case in my five ton.
I think I puked it.
Not only does it jump out of gear decellerating, but it will not drive in reverse if you keep it in high range.
Drop the transfer into low range, and you can go in reverse, it won't pop out if gear in low range either.
So I now have a dedicated woods buggy untill I can get a new t-case .
Anybody experience something similar?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Super, check with Jones but i believe a 900 series transfer case is a bolt in and air shift like the deuce. Thinking out loud!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
900-series transfer is majorly different in mounting and hookup. It uses a different series drive shaft on 2 of the 3 flanges as well. Overall it is not much larger than that on a duece.

The nice thing is the one on my bench is a three speed with UD, straight, and OD. The bad thing it was pulled for some unknown reason and I have not had time to open it up.

dg

supermechanic

I believe that the t-case is the same between the m51 and the 800 series.

I think the number is t-138 rockwell.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, this may be a good time to upgrade my transmission.
The trans in it currently is the one for the multi-fuel. hence no overdrive.
I'd like to get the OD trans, as I have a top road speed somewhere around 40 mph.
Does anyone know the correct number for the trans?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks