• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission and Transfer Case fluid capacity

cam7002

'mornin', folks. M1009 CUCV, I did a transmission filter change and a transfer case drain last night. As I was filling the transmission, I kept checking it each half quart. It keeps showing that the fluid is way low in spite of a significant amount of fluid in there.

I checked to see if it was simply sieving out the bottom, and it is not. I triple-checked the manual for the tranny capacity, and the manual says it is 4 quarts.

"One of the manuals, TM 9-2320-289-20, has an error with regard to the transfer case and transmission fluid capacities:
Biennially Trans- Remove oil pan, drain fluid, replace transmission filter, install pan, and refill with new Dexron II fluid. DO NOT overfill (see paragraph 5-2). Transmission service capacity is 4.0 quarts (5.7 L).

"Biennially Transfer Change fluid by removing drain plug and allowing fluid to drain, then refill with new Dexron II fluid. Transfer service capacity
is 5.0 quarts (5.7 L)."

Obviously, 5.0 quarts and 4.0 quarts do not both equal 5.7 liters.

So I have four questions, two for the tranny and two for the transfer case.
1. What is the fluid capacity of the transmission?
2. Why might it be showing low after I put in more than four quarts?
3. What is the fluid capacity of the transfer case?
4. Is there a cool way to check its fill to see how full it is?

Thanks for the help. First time I have done either and I have another one that needs the same.

Bobert

1. When I filled up my new transmission, it took at least 7 or 8 quarts. That is with one in the Tc already.

3. The transfer case took about 4-5ish depending how much you spill. Those $.50 straws are junk.

4. If you stick your finger in the top fill plug on the tcase, it should be about the first knuckle or just below the plug.

Last edited:

2mtrucks

i drained my 208 tcase. it had about 3 pts in it and doesnt leak. my chilton manual for 84 to 87 says 2.8 pts for civilian 208 case. i hope its right cause thats all i put back in it. also online autozone tech info said the same. anyone know for sure?

ragedracer

That doesn't seem right to me at all...

Are you sure you don't mean quarts? I have a leaky rear seal on my TC, I put my finger in the fill hole and could barely touch the fluid, so I added more. It took just under a quart to fill it to the bottom of the fill hole...

2mtrucks

it doesnt seem like enough to me either. i havent had any problems but im calling a reputable transmission shop tomorrow to find out for sure.i believe it would hold quite a bit more if you filled it to the top plug but do you fill it to the top plug?

ragedracer

Its possible that the seal between the TC and Tranny is bad, and your fluid is migrating into the transmission. It generally happens the other way, but...

Also, its possible that someone else got the same advice you got and filled it with only 2.8 pints..

2mtrucks

i just rechecked chiltons and found two footnotes that contradict themselves...one says 10.4 pts, one says 2.8. i would be inclined to believe the first number now. wonder why the case hasnt destroyed itself.

2mtrucks

One commonality seems to be fill it to within 10mm of the fill plug regardless of the source so i guess thats what i will do. Good thing 208s are cheap.

cam7002

OK, guys, so I just filled the thing to about an inch below the filler hole with this handy tool from Harbor Freight Tools [evacuation/dispensing pump, item #93477, $19.99]. This tool will save me a lot of headache on the other five vehicles I need to service. I think it would also serve for sending a hose right down the dipstick in case you overfill your tranny. You can just suck it right back up the tube.

All other tools I tried were a total waste of time. One tool, in particular, which I purchased from Auto Zone just about set me into a fury. It's like a funnel with a lid on it and a long, clear tube running down. Don't waste your time on this leaky piece of junk.

At any rate, my transfer case on the M1009 holds about 4 and a half liters. If the US hadn't given up on the metric system in the '70's because some daggumed people just refused to ... ok, I'll try to let go of that now [insert Serenity Prayer]. At any rate, it's about 4 3/4 quarts. There are two pints in every quart. As such 3 pints is 1 1/2 quarts, and that is way too low.

Brethren and sistren, please note that scrivener's error in the TM about the transfer case and the tranny having the same number of liters, but different numbers of quarts.

2mtrucks

I drained my insufficient 2.8 pts, checked for metal contaminants or worse...found none. Refilled it with approx. 4.75 qts. Test drove it. No apparent leaks or damage so I will assume it was caught in time. So much for the Chilton manual.

rbuster

... with this handy tool from Harbor Freight Tools [evacuation/dispensing pump, item #93477, $19.99]. This tool will save me a lot of headache ...
I'm sold, but can't find that tool on their website. Perhaps it is sold in their stores but not offered online?

cam7002

I'm sold, but can't find that tool on their website. Perhaps it is sold in their stores but not offered online?
rbuster, I also could not find it on their website when I made that post. I even searched by the product name. I had looked online before I went to the store, too. But it was available in my Raleigh store. You may want to call the store and they can look it up on the computer to see if it is available.

2deuce

I filled up my TC to where it started to come out the fill plug, I'm wondering now if I should take some out. One thing I've always wondered is why should the transmission be checked when hot? and how long does it take after you have done a refill for the torque converter to be filled so an accurate reading can be taken from the dip stick.
Thanks

DokWatson

Who cares how much it actually holds. X amount of quarts is a guide, you always fill something till it shows right on whatever you measure it with, be it a finger or dipstick...nothing else to it.

I fill my differentials and T-case till it starts coming back out the hole, then I plug it back up. I fill my engine and transmission oil till its to spec on the dipstick, after driving for a mile or two. When changing the filter on the engine or transmission, the amount of fluid required to fill it goes up by roughly a whole quart.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks