• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission banging

CES 3245th

I have a 1983 M923A1 with an Allison automatic transmission 5 speed. When coming to a stop with this truck at a light or in traffic it always bangs when it downshifts. I am not manually downshifting this is doing it by itself. Is this the norm for this type of truck and transmission? I currently run 15w40 motor oil. I realize there is a lot of debate on this on what type of fluid to use motor oil or Dexron. The winters in the Northeast are pretty cold here obviously not as cold as the Great Lakes area but it’s cold. I’m sure the temperature in this area has a determining factor on what type of fluid to use in the transmission .So, what I’m trying to figure out is how to keep this transmission from banging when coming to a stop. Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated

URSATDX

My A3 w the Allison 4 spd has similar characteristics when downshifting. Especially 2nd to 1st.
It's less noticeable when trans temps increase or when pulling a load.
Lots of info/discussion here on 1540 vs ATF.
Mine is currently using 1540.

CES 3245th

simp5782, thank you for that info. Have you or anybody you know ever install this heavier spring on M923A1 and did it resolve the banging noise coming from the transmission? I hate to ask, is this easy install, or am I in for a tough day on this install?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
simp5782, thank you for that info. Have you or anybody you know ever install this heavier spring on M923A1 and did it resolve the banging noise coming from the transmission? I hate to ask, is this easy install, or am I in for a tough day on this install?
Takes about 15mins. Simple. Profo did it on his A2 and it solved it. I had it on mine as well when I had an allison

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks