• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tray Ration Heating System

Wire Fox

If you're unfamiliar and need a primer, check out the manufacturer's page...they have an absolutely excellent write-up: http://www.babingtontechnology.com/products/tray-ration-heater.html#.WcVEyxGpW70

I saw this the other day and was really intrigued by it. I like the idea of being able to run a field kitchen off of my HMMWV without having to get a dedicated MKT that won't be able to be safely towed by my HMMWV. If I were to decide that I need a bigger kitchen, the above heater is the same backbone of the M1102-based "Assault Kitchen." I haven't seen any signs of a real surplus market for it, so I was curious if anybody has seen these around or had any experience using the system. Right now, all I've found was a message from last year of a guy that was able to bring one to one of the GA rallys, and some eBay listings for oddball spare parts and some of the actual UGR H&S rations.

EDIT: Looks like they are out on the market. I'm finding some hits on GL having sold about 5 earlier this year in the $150-250 range, and a whole lot of them all through 2016. Seems like patience might pay off here, but definitely would love to hear of anyone that might be putting one of these to use!
EXTRA EDIT: To put further insult to this, one stand-alone TRH (no system) sold for $25 two months ago. I guess not many folks here have much interest in a cooking system that uses specialized MRE-like trays that feeds 13-50 people, depending on menu. I can understand that.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Thanks for the enlightenment on the other system. There's some components of it I might want to expand with later, but right now, that Babington unit seems really neat with the burner they use on all of their appliances. It's also very convenient for me that it's nicely on rails to tie down into the HMMWV, and allegedly can be used on the move (haven't currently found where in the TM it states a procedure for this to confirm it can be safely done)

rustystud

Babbington unit is different than the one provided with the original KCLFF, but achieves the same thing.
Hey "SCSG-G4" . Since we're talking about small meal kits here, what would you recommend for my M35 truck. I plan on taking it to Alaska next summer and would like to be able to prepare meals on the trip. I already have the MRI/ water heater, but it is kind of to small for my son and me. Did the military have any units larger for just a few men ?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Babbington Tray Ration Heater for 12 to 50 troops, or the unit shown in the KCLFF are the only ones I'm familiar with. The RAK-15 and it's slightly larger brother are out there, but not as common as before. They were built to go in armored vehicles for the crew to fix their meals, but they ate one at the time. For two or three people, I'd look at the Jet Boil stoves, or a Kelly Kettle if you will be stopping to eat - much smaller and lighter than the GI stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks