• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Truck identification by bar code??? Maybe linked to MWO applied?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 10 years, I found that my truck has two more tags which I never noticed. They were in the driver side rear door post, so "hiding in plain view". Any comment on this is more then welcome, especially if you can help identify the tags.

IMG_8813c.JPG

A barcode sticker. This I never saw before on a vehicle.

The bar code is 99751024
Then there is a number 2320000559263
Then comes my hood number 5D7896
Then vehicle identification: Truck Dump M51A2 W/Winch

The 8-number barcode search brought me, among many other possibilities, to the Military Standard Marking for Shipment and Storage. Is it possible that this is an identification used when transported from USA to Europe, or after storage in the POMS depot in the Netherlands?

Also a MWO applied tag, close to the above sticker.

IMG_8815c.JPG

The number is 02320200351, with the date 01.31.91. Maybe the first zero is not part of the number, unclear.

The interesting thing is that this tag as the date January 31, 1991. However, according CARNAC, this truck disappeared from the US Army books in 1986, five years earlier.

So apart from the fact that this truck was bought as surplus from a POMS depot in 1999/2000, there now is additional evidence that somebody was doing something with this truck between 1986 and 1999.

Any ideas?

Guyfang

Staff member
After 10 years, I found that my truck has two more tags which I never noticed. They were in the driver side rear door post, so "hiding in plain view". Any comment on this is more then welcome, especially if you can help identify the tags.

View attachment 795664

A barcode sticker. This I never saw before on a vehicle.

The bar code is 99751024
Then there is a number 2320000559263
Then comes my hood number 5D7896
Then vehicle identification: Truck Dump M51A2 W/Winch

The 8-number barcode search brought me, among many other possibilities, to the Military Standard Marking for Shipment and Storage. Is it possible that this is an identification used when transported from USA to Europe, or after storage in the POMS depot in the Netherlands?

Also a MWO applied tag, close to the above sticker.

View attachment 795665

The number is 02320200351, with the date 01.31.91. Maybe the first zero is not part of the number, unclear.

The interesting thing is that this tag as the date January 31, 1991. However, according CARNAC, this truck disappeared from the US Army books in 1986, five years earlier.

So apart from the fact that this truck was bought as surplus from a POMS depot in 1999/2000, there now is additional evidence that somebody was doing something with this truck between 1986 and 1999.

Any ideas?

The bar code is 99751024. This looks like a POMCUS storage Number.

Then there is a number 2320000559263. This is the NSN.

The number is 02320200351, with the date 01.31.91. Maybe the first zero is not part of the number, unclear. This is the MWO number. The zero? Not sure. 2320 means its a truck. What is the TM number for you truck. That way we might be able to find out what the MWO was.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great and quick service, you really came through on this.

The bar code is 99751024. This looks like a POMCUS storage Number.
That's what I was hoping for. Any way to get more info about that? Maybe the starting 99 is a year indication, in which case this might be the number designating this truck for surplus.

I tried with the US historians both Frankfurt and USA for information about this truck, but they could not help me further, maybe I should have tried the admin sources.

Then there is a number 2320000559263. This is the NSN.
That one I should have realized myself. I found details about the brake line adapters that way, was going to post about it. dump trucks have this number or is it a unique identifier?

The number is 02320200351, with the date 01.31.91. Maybe the first zero is not part of the number, unclear. This is the MWO number. The zero? Not sure. 2320 means its a truck. What is the TM number for you truck. That way we might be able to find out what the MWO was.
The TMs are the TM 9-2320-211 for the M39 trucks.

There was an earlier thread about MWO, but did not give enough information. Maybe there are more, but MWO is too short for the search function.

I checked around, and found something similar.

Based on that, we are looking for Technical Manual (TM) MWO 9-2320-200-35-1.

And I found it. As already supposed in the older thread, it is a modification for adding seat belts.
Which means that while in POMCUS, they added the seat belts OR this truck was more active than I know.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
This is what I found when I checked the NSN
CYLINDER QUANTITY6
BATTERY QUANTITY2
WHEEL QUANTITY6
DRIVE WHEEL QUANTITY6
ENGINE/MOTOR MANUFACTURER CODE AND MODEL NUMBER19207 LDS465-1A
PRIME MOVER TYPEDIESEL ENGINE
ENGINE BRAKE HORSEPOWER210
ENGINE HORSEPOWER RATING SPEED IN RPM2800
BATTERY VOLTAGE RATING IN VOLTS12
REVERSE SPEED QUANTITY1
TRANSMISSION TYPEMANUAL
FORWARD SPEED QUANTITY5
HINGE LOCATIONBOTTOM AND TOP
MAXIMUM LOAD RATING20000 POUNDS
SEATING CAPACITY3
FEATURES PROVIDEDCAB PROTECTOR AND TAILGATE AND TOWING PINTLE HOOK AND UNDERWATER FORDING SYSTEM
GYPSY HEADNOT INCLUDED
RATED LOAD CAPACITY5 TONS
DRIVE AXLE LOCATIONFRONT AND REAR
AXLE DRIVE TYPEDOUBLE REDUCTION
POWER DIVIDER UNITNOT INCLUDED
FRONT AXLE ENGAGING MECHANISM TYPEAUTOMATIC
REAR WHEEL MOUNTING TYPEDUAL
NOMINAL WHEELBASE167 INCHES
FRONT WHEEL TREAD NOMINAL WIDTH74 INCHES
REAR WHEEL TREAD NOMINAL WIDTH72 INCHES
MULTIFUEL DESIGN FEATUREINCLUDED
TRANSMISSION ADJUNCT TYPETRANSFER
TRANSMISSION ADJUNCT SPEED QUANTITY2
WINCH LOCATIONFRONT
WINCH TYPESINGLE DRUM
CAB TYPECONVENTIONAL
CAB ROOF TYPEOPEN
BRAKE ACTUATION METHODAIR AND HYDRAULIC
TAILGATE OPERATION METHODMANUAL
CARGO AREA NOMINAL LENGTH125 INCHES
CARGO AREA NOMINAL WIDTH82 INCHES
CARGO AREA NOMINAL HEIGHT23 INCHES
SIDE REMOVABILITYNONREMOVABLE
BODY HOIST TYPETILT
III RATED CUBIC CARRYING CAPACITY5 CUBIC YARDS
BODY MANUFACTURER CODE AND MODEL NUMBER19207 8758717
III VEHICLE CURB WEIGHT22700 POUNDS
CPKDVEHICLE MAXIMUM GROSS WEIGHT43100 POUNDS
CPLGCAB DOOR QUANTITY2
ZZZTNONDEFINITIVE SPEC/STD DATA2 GROUP AND -51A2 MODEL

Guyfang

Staff member
If you look at the front of the TM's, this NSN will be on the cover. This NSN is for YOUR truck. There could be trucks that LOOK like yours, but are somehow different. Like W/OW. With Out Winch. So it will have a different NSN. It will still be a M51A2, but its model number would be M51A2 W/OW. Without/Winch. Yours is/was, M51A2 W/W With winch.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you go to TM 9-2320-211-10, you will notice that on page (PDF reader page #) 8, it lists the M51 truck. It has 6 different NSN's. 2 for the M51, (basic truck). 2 for for the M51A1 and the last 2 are for the M51A2. They show you the NSN for with winch and without winch.

When you look, for instence at the TM9-2320-211-20P, the cover shows about 50 different trucks, all based on the same frame, kinda. If you are looking in the parts manual, do you know hoe to tell what part fits your truck? Because there are some parts that look the same, but are not. Or some parts, that are on several types of truck, but not all. If not, tell me and we can work through the UOC. Usable On Code.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know they are not active when in POMCUS. The only thing is, the history of my truck is unclear. Almost certainly, it was made in 1965, based upon the sequence of serial numbers and hood numbers. However, the truck was overhauled in 1973, and its history can be traced only from 1973 to 1986 as part of the Corps Engineers from New Hampshire. Since then the truck is off the books, so I presume it was shipped to the Netherlands as POMCUS equipment, but sure I am not. So we have one gap of 8 years unknown at the beginning and one gap of 13 years at the end until it was sold as surplus.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I mean with the more active, it might not have been in POMCUS all the time but active in another unit here in Europe. According the owner who bought it as surplus, it already had a shabby look, a serious twisted head rack on the dump bed and a messed up winch. When they bought it, it had less then 100 hours and 100 miles of the counters, so a reset or overhaul in or before POMCUS. But if so, I wonder why they did not repair at least the winch.

Guyfang

Staff member
When equipment becomes old, outdated or its going to be replaced, the military has a system on how much to spend on that equipment. Its called MEL. Maintenance Expenditure Limit. The MEL chart lists the equipment model, year built, and need for the equipment. At the end of its life, it can happen that the MEL is zero percent. Meaning no mater whats wrong with the equipment, NO money will be spent on parts or time expended on a repair. When the zero MEL is met, that's when old equipment goes to the DRMO to be disposed of. The old MEP-002A gen sets were disposed of, by the hundreds, when small things like electric fuel pumps went bad, or if filters were needed. It was a good time for a commander, he could get rid of all his old worn out gear. Or if an old truck was a real dog, and say someone backed it up into a wall and bent the fender and bumper. This is a candidate for the Bone Yard! The commander would do a ECOD, (Estimated Cost Of Damage) on the truck. If the ECOD showed that the price of repairing the truck was higher then the MEL, the truck was history! Off to the bone yard. The commander got another truck in replacement. Not always new. And sometimes it was just as big a dog as the old one.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the army kept track of this?

Presumably the hood number follows the truck throughout its life, but both CARNAC and Dave Doyle mention that keeping track left something to be desired.

Guyfang

Staff member
The hood number is suposed to follow the truck for its life. Having said that, I do not remember ever seing a hood number. Might be I just never noticed. I will look at a few old pictures and see.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct. But per CARNAC and Dave Dolyle, the accompanying paperwork not always does so. Neither CARNAC nor US Military historians could find more data on the truck as mentioned above, leaving the gaps unexplained.

Rambo.jpg

The hood number can still be seen vaguely on the hood when I bought the truck.

M51A2-bill-392-01c.jpg

With a quick and dirty hand paint job we put new black hood numbers there. The final numbers will come later this year, in white on an OD truck.

RobySul

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I wonder how did you manage to extract numbers and codes from it? On those pics you've posted, I can barely see anything. I have kinda a similar problem right now, and I'm looking for a possible solution.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, lots to do, and twice a recurring tear gland infection in one eye and then a broken blood vessel in my other eye tends to limit your screen time rather efficiently.

DSC_0069_resize.JPG

:-D
number close-up.jpg

Once we washed the moss from the hood it was rather easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks