• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

True odometer reading?

HillBilly

I picked my M1031 up at NG Camp Beauregard La. on the 1st of April (my 1st online auction as well as my 1st MV) so I will be bothering you good folks for some help here in the near future. My odometer is 7 digit's and has 022947.4 miles on it. I read on another thread that the 7 digi's are a replacement and that 6 digi's were used by manufacture.
Is this true? The truck is in A1 shape minus the bent drive shaft and some elec. folleys.
Even the oil pan is still shiny black w/o scratches. Here are the pics!

Attachments

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: nice find

Welcome, nice find! In better shape than my first one, and mine also has 6 digit odometer, my second one does not .Mileage on my first one was only 6700. Came from Kuwait, sure looked like original miles too because of same things as yours; shiney oil pan, breather, etc, and of course, had the usual bent driveshaft by GL &@#$.

Croatan_Kid

GM built these trucks with whatever parts they had just laying around, so there is actually a good chance that it came with that odometer from the factory.

acetomatoco

Above statement subject to conjecture from several fronts. The speedometer head for the early trucks was 25051889 and in 1987...the last of the CUCV it changed to another # 25052373 with interchangeability back to 1984. I would speculate that the Contact Maintenance truck in question here is a 1987 (model year) not necessarily delivery year.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I was able to pull the data and his miles are original according to the military. So he has a nice low mileage truck.

Crash_AF

The only thing I can think is that they used the 7 digit odometer because the truck was a chassis cab, but the only place I've seen them before is in the C60 medium trucks that use the same dash.

Later,
Joe

HillBilly

Hi all! I apologize for lack of detail ace. It is a 1986 M1031 and medlog str8end me out.
The maintenance bed has 1990 onit I don't know if that has anything 2 do w/ it or not.
The date on the batts says sep 2004 and i believe they are shot from sitting so long.

Thanks again for your help on the matter medlog, and as soon as I research the drive shaft I'll PM you!

Thanks for all the compliments you guys, if it wasn't for SS I'd still be tryin to figure out how to put an Isuzu diesel in my Ranger gasser! Glad I went this route cuz I live in the boones the driveway is about a mile long and winter sucks when you don't have the right TOOL for the job.

You all have made a hillbilly feel welcome and you can look forward to seeing more pics and posts! HB

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't remember the exact date, but the 7 digit odometers were not used until around 1989 or 1990. They might have replaced the stock one, but I'm almost certain it didn't come off the assembly line with that one.

Very cool truck! It looks really clean.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks