• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tunnel by emergency brake gets hot to the touch

Gamble

Hello All,

Just wanted to pose a question to the group. Took the truck out for the first time on an extended ride. About 40 miles one way on the freeway. The tunnel next to the emergency brake base got really warm (including the emergency brake), dare I say hot. Is this normal?

JetbikeAnt

Without the insulation the Tunnel does get quite warm. I put my two dogs on top of it in there beds for a ride to Ma's house and could not understand why they were panting! LOL. Since my Truck has park, I never touched the handbrake to know if that gets hot as well.

In my truck as the engine heats up there is a noticeable temperature increase on the tunnel. I have the insulation but if I put my hand on the tunnel by the park brake I can feel the heat coming through. Not much of a problem in the colder months but during the summer I could even feel the hot air coming in.

Action

Make sure the ebrake rubber boot under the tunnel is in good shape and closed.
newer models have a silver boot over the rubber boot, on the shifter.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know mine during the summer going down the interstate with the 6.2L is just plain hot for my right leg/thigh and I do have all the insulation tid bits. My ebrake does have a new boot as one of the first mods I did was to put in the locking model. I believe it is part of the joy of these vehicles.....

Reactions: 98G

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exhaust pipe runs on the other side of that tunnel.
It getting hot is normal. Newer trucks have better insulation, but still gets warm.
I remember in the Army it felt like my leg was going to burn if I let it rest against the tunnel too long in an earlier version truck.

The exhaust pipe runs on the other side of that tunnel.
It getting hot is normal. Newer trucks have better insulation, but still gets warm.
I remember in the Army it felt like my leg was going to burn if I let it rest against the tunnel too long in an earlier version truck.
What is an earlier "version truck" for you? My leg feels like it is going to burn when I wear shorts and my skin is in contact with the tunnel for more than a few seconds and I have an 04 M1123

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed that my leg was on the side of the tunnel and I was amazed how hot it was and it would have burned it if I left any longer. I was underneath removing my shifter after that. I was thinking about freeing up the resonator restrictions and wrapping the exhaust from end of Y-pipe to the resonator. I bet that would significantly lower inside temps at least enough to wear shorts. Anyone had any success with wrapping it?

BLK HMMWV

Hello All,

Just wanted to pose a question to the group. Took the truck out for the first time on an extended ride. About 40 miles one way on the freeway. The tunnel next to the emergency brake base got really warm (including the emergency brake), dare I say hot. Is this normal?
Yes . I insulated mine when the body was off. Haven't driven it much lately but I believe it helped a good deal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks