• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo Exhaust Sealing Area Dimensions

joshs1ofakindxj

I recently changed all the seals around my turbo when I installed a pyrometer, and on the turbo exhaust connection, there is a thin metal ring gasket that goes in the connection to the exhaust pipe that is clamped together. This thin metal ring is not cutting it for me, leaking quite a bit, so after kicking around some options to get a thicker piece of sealing material in there, I think I am going to try and find an exhaust gasket at the part's store that is large enough that I can cut a ring out to insert in there. I should be able to find one of the square, soft, gray-ish lead gaskets that should work. Hopefully it doesn't melt out!

If anyone has one of these thin round gaskets hanging around that they can measure for me, for a C-turbo if it matters, I would be very thankful. I just need the ID and OD. Heck measuring the exhaust pipe or exhaust side of the turbo would also work for me so I know the sealing area.

Westech

CPL
You can get the caskets from just about any military parts suppler for about 3-6 bucks.
I have used RTV copper on them to to seal a leaky one up. Just make sure your pipes are VERY clean.

joshs1ofakindxj

I had a new mil-spec gasket, but the thin metal is just too thin.

I thought I looked at all the available RTVs and none were rated for high enough temp (1250F max). If the copper works I will give it a try though.

Edit: just looked it up and the copper is rated for 700F max intermittent. I'll try it if you say it works though.

joshs1ofakindxj

I see 1150F just above the turbo in the exhaust manifold all the time. I can't expect the temperature to be significantly less at the turbo exhaust. I need a good laser thermometer to check it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks