• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turn signal switch rebuild

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My turn signals quit.
I replaced the flasher.
Then noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the switch.
Also heard a click under the dash I'm assuming was a relay tripping.
Can the switch be cleaned?
Have not taken it apart yet.
Or
Does it need replaced.
Has any one ever used a aftermarket switch....

fleetmech

Well, I know for sure the switch can be taken apart and cleaned. Letting the smoke out is usually a sign that things are pretty fried inside, ability to repair will be determined by exactly what has broken. I doubt any of the internal contacts are available separately, so if things are melted inside, you'll probably be replacing the switch, or maybe crafting a new part if you are very handy with very small metal bits.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, that - the original turn signal switch on my truck did that. I opened it up and it had some blackening of contacts and otherwise looked healthy. I am not the world's greatest electrician and so I just checked and cleaned everything, re-assembled it and it never worked again. Nada. Nothing. Got fed up and bought a new one.
I still have the broken one in case I get so bored one day that I have to have another go at it. Hasn't happened, yet.

Bill in pa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took it off and opened it up.
Looked fine inside.
Saw no decoloration of the contacts.
In mine I ran a separate ground to the steering column.
Looked like was rusty , so I sanded it put it back together and worked as it should.
I also to the new blinker unit off and put the old one on and works as it should.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks