• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

two piece 12 bolt rim assembly Hmmwv

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... I still do need that inside dimension of the back side of the rim, so if anyone can help out with that, much appreciated!!
I did some measuring for you.... Sadly, I only have a set of the early style 12-bolt rims here. They are the ones good for 3400 lbs, with no centering hole. (P/n of the inner section is 12342642, to be used with the 12342640 outer half.) FWIW, on those, the ID of the cylindrical portion in question measures 395.0mm (+/- 0.5mm), with the point of measurement being 5.0" inwards from the inner rim edge, shortly before it starts reducing with a radius of +/-16mm.
Measuring this accurately is a bit of a guesswork, since most of these parts are not perfectly round, as previously stated.
Interestingly, the (average) ID of the load range E (paired)24-bolts is only maybe 0.5mm less, measured at the same point; even if those wheels are said to be built much stronger. So we can assume that the later style 12-bolt inner rims (#12460177) are not much different in size and shape, in that particular area.

Jake59

I did some measuring for you.... Sadly, I only have a set of the early style 12-bolt rims here. They are the ones good for 3400 lbs, with no centering hole. (P/n of the inner section is 12342642, to be used with the 12342640 outer half.) FWIW, on those, the ID of the cylindrical portion in question measures 395.0mm (+/- 0.5mm), with the point of measurement being 5.0" inwards from the inner rim edge, shortly before it starts reducing with a radius of +/-16mm.
Measuring this accurately is a bit of a guesswork, since most of these parts are not perfectly round, as previously stated.
Interestingly, the (average) ID of the load range E (paired)24-bolts is only maybe 0.5mm less, measured at the same point; even if those wheels are said to be built much stronger. So we can assume that the later style 12-bolt inner rims (#12460177) are not much different in size and shape, in that particular area.

Hi GringelTaube,

Thanks for that!!
I finally found my son's little Bosch Laser Measuring tool and when measuring in multiple spots, this gives a reading of predominantly 395mm as well with one spot at 396mm, so 395mm +- 0.5mm is definitely right. Unfortunately this laser tool does not measure down to tenths of mm, but I guess having new rim centers cut with an OD of 395mm in 5mm thick steel can be tightly bottomed out against the extra recess and welded in nicely centered provided that after tacking, we do some careful checking and measuring with a dial indicator before going for the final weld.

Thank you for all the valuable input.
I'll post some pics of the final result with the re-centered wheels.

Cheers,
Jake

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks