• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two Truck Recovery 1400 Mi

markmontana

Success! Just wrapped up our trip from Ft McCoy (Wisconsin) to Ft Impact Guns (Utah). Thanks to Mike at McCoy, he is among the best and I appreciate him.

Bought two trucks from GL, M35A3 back in April, the M1009 this month. Drove the M35A3 to Custer, SD and stored it. The wife and I then flew out to Milwaukee, rented a car, and picked up the M1009. Did some sights along the way to Custer, then picked up the A3 and drove the final leg home. No issues- other than a CTIS error halfway home- causing the tires to deflate to 8 lbs! Lucky we were in town and after filling tires back up- turned off CTIS and air is still holding perfect.

The A3 is a joy to drive, especially in traffic and towns. No need to pass anyone- I don't think I passed anyone the entire way!

Wife was a good sport and drove the M1009 as support. 50 mph is a long 700 run! But we stopped at many of the pioneer historical sites- my ancestors made the trip in the first big push to Salt Lake in 1847. What took them months took us days.

We couldn't have made the trip without the help of some very good folks (and now friends)- their identity is safe with me while they take a little breather...

Enjoy a couple pics of our travels home. (MPG- A3: 9.4, M1009 22.5)

Attachments

shootiniron

Nice rigs Dave.Especialy the A3.Looks really straight.Does look like the tires on the passenger side need turnin around.I just did that to mine last weekend,only was the opposite side.Was'nt to bad to do.Just got my EUC's for those two trailers at Hill AFB.Now time matters.

markmontana

Nice rigs Dave.Especialy the A3.Looks really straight.Does look like the tires on the passenger side need turnin around.I just did that to mine last weekend,only was the opposite side.Was'nt to bad to do.Just got my EUC's for those two trailers at Hill AFB.Now time matters.
Glad to hear your EUC finally came thru. Let me know when you're coming up and I'll help you get them off the base.

You are right on the tires on the A3- that's on the project list. Funny they marked all the wheels with location marks- yet put some of the tires on backwards. A couple of them can be moved to the other side to save some time.

shootiniron

I think that its just hit & miss when they mount them up in the tire shop.Never seen one thats had them all heading in the right direction.I'll let you know when I head that way.Thinking maybe late next week.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Cargo cover is on wrong too. I say this not to be critical, but to maybe help keep the cover from ripping. The sides should go under the front flap.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad you couldn't scare up a towbar and drag the 1009 and ride with the Wife, then again, some folks would probably prefer it just the way you did it. Nice trucks....carry on.

markmontana

Too bad you couldn't scare up a towbar and drag the 1009 and ride with the Wife, then again, some folks would probably prefer it just the way you did it. Nice trucks....carry on.
Ha- I don't think my wife could go more than a few minutes without talking... and with my earplugs- she'd blow a gasket. Ha. She found the M1009 to be quite comfortable, and a couple times she made a pit stop and I kept rolling, with her able to catch back up.

Mark- Carol says Hi!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks