• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Type of motor in Deuce

fireman5214

Hello all,

I tried to research what type of motor was in our 1977 American General M35A2. I know it is a 4-cylinder but we are looking to put fuel filters on the state forestry grant since this truck is owned by the forestry and on loan to us. We can put maintenance items on the grant.

How would I know if we have this motor in the deuce? : Engine oil and fuel filter set for 2.5 ton and 5 ton trucks with the multifuel LD-465/LDS-465 series engine. Filters made in USA.

I looked on the technical manuals, did a google search and forum search and came up with nothing.

Would this work? https://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/m3andm54fuan.html

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

dmetalmiki

I might be a 'Daihatsu' engine!...count the injectors again.
On the turbo side of the engine (Manifold if not) and just under it (The manifold) is a plate with engine data on it.
No data plate?...It is a multifuel engine?. Check the data on either the hydraulic head, or the injector pump.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can tell the OP is love by the troops around here. Y'all jumped all over him from the git-go.

Hope you have fun with the loaner-Deuce. They are a useful tool if well maintained.... and you seem to want to do just that.

Thank you for your service to your community.

fireman5214

I was going by what I was being told, I only got pictures sent to me of the turbo on the deuce a few months ago. Maybe it does have 6, I have never seen the inside of the engine compartment personally. It does look like someone said the link I shared will fit the stock engine and thank-you for that, I believe it is a stock engine.
USAFSS-ColdWarrior, thank-you, that is what we are going for on the deuce. It has served itself useful many times this year already.
1587594045161.png
1587594083127.png

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep 3511 primary Napa 3512 secondary 10 micron Napa 33540 is a 6 micron. Gaskets Napa 5070. We discussed it and most felt that running two of the 10 micron was not as good as stepping down from 10 on the secondary then 6 micron for final. The 6 micron is a Detroit Diesel filter but it is correct for our canisters.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice to see an M35 brush truck that is not overloaded to the hilt. One water tank as depicted, plus pump, hoses and assorted equipment keep it nicely within the 5000 lbs offroad envelope. I have seen many that are well over the 10000 lbs cargo weight for on-road and then mercilessly beaten off the trails.

dmetalmiki

!!, I just gave myself a ..> SMACK<!.. I did not notice the Avatar in your post, And you forgot to mention, YOU have a F A N T A S T I C Truck there.
That is a great looking truck,
Some of the fire trucks i.e. The M45 530-C had a normally aspirated engine, (Non Turbo).

Your truck might have either engine, (Turbo-Non Turbo), But as you have a picture of the turbo, then it is the less smokey version.
The non turbo fire trucks had power enough from the pump settings, (They need to get to 'scenes' fast.)
My 530-c was Very quick initially, but when my lad fitted a C turbo to it, that thing is Unbelievably quick, And I know of no hill it wont steam up with ease in top gear around here. And that, Full of water!. And the turbo is LOUD!,
Some day I will take a video of it coming up a really steep hill in a nearby town.
I respect my truck, It was on the base I worked at, Now I own it. It is in full working order, and is actually on 'stand by' for fire incidents around the farm.
Someone saw smoke over the fields yesterday, and we powered out to it, It was a haystack on fire, NOT for long, The local fire brigade turned up just as we had extinguished it!.
The were WELL impressed.
We 'drove round it (The Fire), Somewhat like this.
Enjoy Your truck to the full.
I most certainly do mine. ( Almost a tear jerker for I (Nay..Tiz!))..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks