• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U-Joint failure

jimmcld

I just took a little ride around town to make sure everything was working on my M816. I stopped at a stop sign and when I started to ease off again, I heard a loud metalic snap and some clanging. On top of that, the truck didn't move. Oh s--t! Got out of the truck and looked down on the pavement and found the cap off of one of the u-joints. It was one of the joints connecting the transmission to the transfer case.

Luckily, I had a friend with me and we were just a few blocks away from his M35A3. Let it be known that an M35A3 can tow an M816. However, I wouldn't suggest getting over 20mph. Hooked up the tow bar and drove slowly about 5 miles with me in the M816 with the engine running and the air pressure up, just in case he needed extra brakeing power.

When we got back to my shop, I removed the remaining parts and discovered that none of the bolts holding the u-joint, or the flange plate it attaches to, were more than finger tight. In fact, one of the bolts had backed out of one of the cups on the u-joint completely. That's why the other bolt snapped off. Most of the repairs I have made to this truck were to correct something the army had worked on previously.

Anyway, an easy fix. I just have to wait until Monday because Inland Truck had to order the part.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When we got back to my shop, I removed the remaining parts and discovered that none of the bolts holding the u-joint, or the flange plate it attaches to, were more than finger tight. In fact, one of the bolts had backed out of one of the cups on the u-joint completely. That's why the other bolt snapped off. Most of the repairs I have made to this truck were to correct something the army had worked on previously.

Anyway, an easy fix. I just have to wait until Monday because Inland Truck had to order the part.
could be a bearing going out in the xcase, trans, or U joint , or out of time and causing a vibration, this will loosen up the bolts over time, its hard to believe that all the bolts would be loose from the gov, it would have failed A LONG TIME AGO

use locktite on EVERYTHING

jimmcld

could be a bearing going out in the xcase, trans, or U joint , or out of time and causing a vibration, this will loosen up the bolts over time, its hard to believe that all the bolts would be loose from the gov, it would have failed A LONG TIME AGO

use locktite on EVERYTHING
I think the bolts were loose since the last rebuild ( I believe it only has 1000 miles on it since the last one). This shaft has the Spicer joints in it and all the rest have the Dana joints. Also, the metal tabs that bend over against the bolt heads were all tight up against the heads, but the bolts were loose. If you don't believe that the gov. can do things like that, you must have never been in the Army.

fasttruck

Grease is cheap, parts cost money. Air is free and tires are not. most problems with loose hardware and u hoint failures on 809 series truc s seem to involve the shaft between the transmission and the transfer case.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whew, after 715 miles in mine, I guess I need to go out and check all the bolts in the drive line

myJEEPisAfatty

Good thing you werent going that fast, my friend had the same thing happen to his Suzuki Samurai and the shaft whipped around punching a hole in his transmission and cutting a huge hole in the floor. I think he was on the highway though. 0_0

crasheej

You know when you have been a bad boy when you brake the slip shaft and the u joint at the same time. Been there done that snow was deep and the wind was out and must have been coming out of North Dakota. Those things are heavy and a lot of fun to put back in there when it is just you . Oh yes it is.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... If you don't believe that the gov. can do things like that, you must have never been in the Army.
Amen brother, I was agape at the mixed/missing parts I found in the front axle of my first deuce.

A systematic rebuild of every component after purchase will be my method after this revelation.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks