• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U.S. Navy M274A3?

Garand_Slam

Hi all,

A little while back I bought an M274 A3. I had done plenty of research on the vehicle itself but not as much of delivery or unit distribution during the Vietnam Era. From what I have heard, the Mule was only ever issued to the Army and Marine Core. That said, my mule has Marine Core numbers and markings on it. However, I have also found traces of grey paint and distinct set of numbers prefaced by USN. I asked Terry at Mechanical Mules of America about this, and he told me that it wasn't uncommon for Marine mules used by dock workers to be stole... "procured" by aircraft carrier ordnance crews, painted grey overnight, and used by the Navy. My grandfather who served on the USS. Ticonderoga remembered having seen the Mules on the carrier but couldn't remember where they came from. I reached out to the museum ships USS. Midway and the USS. Intrepid which didn't provide any real validation to the story. To make a long story short, I plan to restore my Mule in naval haze grey because I enjoy the story and the side of the Mule history that I haven't seen in other restorations. However, I want to make sure that this did actually occur because I really value historical accuracy so I would appreciate if any veterans also had mule stories or if anyone had any pictures they could share of mules in Navy Service. I'll provide some pictures of my marking below.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other-than-authorized "reassignment of Government assets" is very common amongst the services. ;)

It is also possible that the Navy actually legally acquired the Mule, but that doesn't sound like nearly as good a tale.
Usually, to get the truth of the matter you'd have to find the actual folks involved in the "reassignment". Most others wouldn't know.

A grey Navy Mule would certainly be unusual and inspire comment. You might even have someone tell you their story one day. :)

Cheers

papakb

My Dad served on a US destroyer during WWII in the Pacific and one of his favorite stories was about the jeep they had onboard that they would use when they hit the beach. Heaven only knows where you'd keep a Jeep on a Fletcher class destroyer! "Unauthorized acquisition" was the name of the game in the Navy.

Garand_Slam

I’ve pretty consistently heard across the board that its very possible. Between that and the markings it clearly had I’ve gone ahead with the haze grey for paint color. Working on the engine rebuild now and I hope to have it going by summertime. Thanks all!

DavidB

The theme for the FIndly Ohio military vehicle show in May 2023 will be MULES .Show up with it and someone will bound to have something to share.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks